Chapter 55

~~~

"So what did the message say this time?" Sherlock asks Kat as soon as they were alone in the cab.

"Oh, uh, here." She says and hands him the phone to read the message.

" 'This case is a hard one, Kitty Kat. I don't know if your hunk of a man can figure this one out. I really hope this bomb doesn't go off, but who knows, the night's still young. Have a SUPER day, XOXO' " Sherlock reads out loud.

"Yeah, it's weird." Kat agrees after seeing the perplexing look on his face.

"Why does he not want the bomb to go off?" Sherlock questions aloud. "And why did he type 'super' in all caps? What is the significance of that word? Does it mean anything to you?"

Kat shakes her head sadly. "Nothing."

"So it's related to this case then," Sherlock says as he narrows his eyes a little. "Well, I say we put a pin in it and come back to it when we get more clues."

~~~

"We'd been sharing about a year." Alex's roommate says as she lets John Watson into her apartment. "Just sharing." She clarifies as she guides them into his room.

"Mmm." John hums as he looks around. He spots a telescope underneath a white sheet and he walks over to it. "May I?" He asks and she nods and he takes the sheet off.

"Yeah. Sorry." She says with a bit of sadness in her voice as she gestures for him to continue.

John look into where the scope is pointed into the sky. "Stargazer, was he?"

"God, yeah." She smiles as she reminisces about her old roommates obsession with the stars and space. "Mad about it. It's all he ever did in his spare time. He was a nice guy, Alex. I liked him. He was, er never much of a one for hoovering."

"What about art?" John questions as he's thinking about the case again. "Did he know anything about that?"

Alex's roommate shrugs her shoulders as she shakes her head. "It was just a job, you know?"

"Mmm." Watson thinks for a second before he asks another question. "Has anyone else been round asking about Alex?"

She thinks for a moment. "No. We had a break-in, though."

John turns to her quickly. "When?"

"Last night." Alex's roommate replies. "There was nothing taken." She dismisses the break in really quickly before she remembers something else. "Oh, there was a message left for Alex on the land line."

John's interest peaks again. "Who was it from?" He questions.

"I can play it for you, if you like." She answers. "I'll get the phone."

"Please." John says and she goes to the other room to retrieve the phone.

When she comes back into the room she hands the phone to John who puts it to his ear. "Oh, should I speak now?" The recording of a women speaks through the phone. "Alex? Love, it's Professor Cairns. Listen, you were right. You were bloody right. Give us a call when-" And then the line goes dead.

"Professor Cairns?" John questions confused.

The roommate shakes her head. "No idea, sorry."

"Mmm. Can I try and ring back?" Watson asks.

"No good." She shakes her head apologetically. "I've had other calls since. Sympathy ones, you know." With that she leaves the room and John receives a text message that says 'Have you spoken to West's fiancée yet? Mycroft Holmes'. John then rolls his eyes and puts his phone away.