Chapter 15

~~~

"This is childish." Sherlock cuts in.  

"Well, I'm dealing with a child." Lestrade fires back. 

"Sherlock, this is our case. We're letting you in, but you do not go off on your own. Clear?" 

"Or what, so-so-so-so you set up a pretend drugs bust to bully me?" Sherlock spits out.

"It stops being pretend if we find anything." Greg points out.

"I am clean!" Sherlock snaps turning to the detective inspector.

"Is your flat? All of it?" Greg questions raising his eyebrows.

"I don't even smoke." Sherlock replies unbuttoning his sleeve and pulling it down his arm to reveal the nicotine patch. 

"Neither do I." Lestrade tells him showing him his arm as well. "So let's continue to work together. We've found Rachel."

After hearing that, Kat loses some of her anger. "Who is she?" Sherlock demands.

"Jennifer Wilson's only daughter." 

"Her daughter?" Kat questions. 

"Why would she write her daughter's name? Why?" Sherlock says frustrated and confused. 

"Never mind that, we found the case." Anderson says. "According to someone, the murderer has the case, and we found it in the hands of our favourite psychopath." 

Sherlock turns to Anderson. "Not a psychopath, Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." He snaps then turns back to Lestrade. "You need to bring Rachel in to question her. I need to question her." 

"She's dead." 

"Excellent." Sherlock smiles finally getting somewhere. "How, when and why? Is there a connection? There has to be." 

"Well, I doubt it, since she's been dead for 14 years." The detective inspector informs him. "Technically, she was never alive. Rachel was Jennifer Wilson's stillborn daughter, 14 years ago." 

"Oh, that's, that's not right. How- Why would she do that? Why?" Sherlock asks even more confused. He doesn't understand Jennifer's last actions, her final moments. 

"Why would she think of her daughter in her last moments?" Anderson questions sarcastically. "Yep- sociopath, I'm seeing it now." 

"She didn't think about her daughter. She scratched her name on the floor with her fingernails." Sherlock pointed out.

Kat jumps in to Sherlock's defense. "Sherlock is right. She was dying. It took effort, it would have hurt." She turned to face him. "You said that the victims all took the poison themselves, that he makes them take it." 

"Well, maybe he, I don't know, talks to them." John suggests coming into the conversation. "Maybe he used the death of her daughter somehow." 

"But that was ages ago. Why would she still be upset?" Sherlock says bluntly. "Not good?" He asks after the whole room goes silent and he sees the look on everyone's faces. 

"Bit not good, yeah." Kat answers him lightly. 

"If you were dying, if you'd been murdered, in your very last few seconds, what would you say?" Sherlock questions to John.

"Please, God, let me live." He replies.

"Use your imagination!" Sherlock tells him.

"I don't have to." The ex-soldier replies and Sherlock realizes what he said deciding to come back with a different approach. Lowering his voice he tried again. "Yeah, but if you were clever, really clever. Jennifer Wilson running all those lovers, she was clever. She was trying to tell us something."