Chapter 11

~~~

"What are you doing?" John says as he comes up the stairs and sees Kat sitting on the couch with Sherlock. Sherlock's feet were in Kat's lap while he laid vertically, his eyes closed and his arm out groaning slightly. Kat looked up at John from her book.

"Nicotine patch." Sherlock replies. "Helps me think. Impossible to sustain a smoking habit in London these days. Bad news for brain work."

"It's good news for breathing." Kat says still looking at her book.

"Oh, breathing! Breathing's boring." Sherlock groans.

"Breathing keeps you alive." Kat points out.

"Eh." Sherlock shrugs.

"Is that three patches?" John questions.

"It's a three-patch problem." Sherlock replies simply.

After a few minutes of silence John speaks up. "Well? You asked me to come, I'm assuming it's important."

"Oh, yeah, of course." Sherlock says as if suddenly remembering. "Can I borrow your phone?"

"My phone?" John asks incredulously.

"Always a chance that my number will be recognized. It's on the website."

"Mrs. Hudson's got a phone."

"She's downstairs. I shouted, but she didn't hear." Sherlock answers.

"I was the other side of London." John replies angrily.

"There was no hurry." Sherlock assures him.

"Here." John hands him his phone. "What about Kat?" He questions as Sherlock places the phone in between his two hands, the tips of his fingers against his lips.

"Hey, I offered, but he refused." Kat defends holding her hands up.

"So what's this about," John starts. "The case?"

"Her case." Sherlock muses.

"Her case?" John repeats again.

"Her suitcase, yes, obviously. The murderer took her suitcase, first big mistake." Sherlock explains.

"OK, he took her case. So?"

"It's no use, there's no other way." Sherlock looks to Kat who finally puts her book down. "We'll have to risk it."

"Are you sure?" Kat verifies as John looks between the two confused. "Well, if there's no other way."

Sherlock hums then holds out John's phone to him. "On my desk there's a number. I want you to send a text."

"You've brought me here to send a text." John questions incredulously.

"Text, yes. The number on my desk." There is a few moments of silence when Sherlock opens his eyes and looks to John. "What's wrong?"

"Just met a friend of yours." John answers.

"A friend?" Sherlock asks, surprise showing on his face and in his voice.

John corrects himself. "An enemy."

Sherlock nods understandingly. "Oh. Which one?"

"Well, your arch-enemy, according to him." John corrects himself again. "Do people have arch-enemies?"

All Sherlock said was: "Did he offer you money to spy on me?"

"Yes."

"Did you take it?" The detective questions.