Chapter 10

~~~

"You know I've got a phone." John says limping towards the man. "Very clever and all that, but, uh, you could just phone me. On my phone."

"When  one is trying to avoid the attention of Sherlock Holmes, one learns to be discreet. Hence this place." He gestures around them. "The leg must be hurting you, sit down."

"I don't want to sit down." John says in a hard voice.

"You don't seem very afraid."

"You don't seem very frightening." John snaps back.

The man chuckles in amusement. "Yes, the bravery of the soldier. Bravery is by far the kindest word for stupidity, don't you think. What is your connection to Sherlock Holmes?"

"I don't have one. I barely know him, I met him yesterday." John tells him honestly.

"And since yesterday, you've moved in with him and now your solving crimes together. Might we expect a happy announcement by the end of the week?" The man asks sarcastically.

"Who are you?" John questions ignoring his last comment.

"An interested party."

"Interested in Sherlock. Why? I'm guessing your not friends."

"You've met him, how many friends do you imagine he has?" He jokes smiling slightly. "I am the closest thing to a friends Sherlock Holmes is capable of having."

"And what is that?"

"An enemy."

"An enemy?" John repeats.

"In his mind certainty. If you were to asks him he would probably say his arch enemy. He does love to be dramatic."

"Well thank god you're above all that." John comments thinking back to the methods to which this man used to get him here and he replies by giving the doctor a pointed look.

Suddenly, John's phone dings alerting him that he has received a text message. He reaches into his pocket, pulls out his phone and reads the message.

Baker Street. Come at once if convenient.

SH

"I hope I'm not distracting you." The man asks him with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"You're not distracting me at all." John replies putting his phone back into his pocket.

"Do you plan to continue your association with Sherlock Holmes?"

"I could be wrong, but I think that's none of your business." Dr. Watson points out in a hard voice.

"It could be." The man replies.

"It really couldn't." John fires.

"If you do move in to," He hesitates pulling a little notebook out of his coat pocket and turning to a marked page. "221B Baker Street, I'd be happy to pay you a meaningful sum of money on a regular basis to ease your way."

"Why?" He questions.

"Because you're not a wealthy man." The man answers.

"In exchange for what?"

"Information. Nothing indiscreet, nothing you would feel uncomfortable with," He answers slowly. "Just tell me what he's up to."

"Why?" John asks again.

"I worry about him." The man answers. "Constantly."

"That's nice of you."

"But I would prefer for various reasons that my 'concern' go unmentioned. We have what you might call a," he pauses. "Difficult relationship."