Chapter 2

~~~

"You must be Kat?" A grey haired man asks Kat when she arrives at Scotland Yard. "I'm Greg Lestrade." He holds his hand out for her to shake.

"Ah, Greg, hi." Kat shakes Greg's hand.

"So you will probably be working with me on a lot of cases, your job is sort of like and undercover detective within Scotland Yard." Lestrade tells her. "You will survey the scene, crime, victims, and workers; fortunately we found somebody that we find will be able to the job to the best of their many abilities." He jokes and she laughs. "So unless we need you in for a case, you can pretty much work from wherever you want."

"Awesome, well thanks and I'm glad, and really hope, I can help."

"Okay, so this is my partner, Sergeant Sally Donovan." Lestrade gestures to another woman standing a good distance behind him so she didn't hear their conversation. She's dark skinned with curly black hair and seems to constantly wear an ugly, grumpy scowl on her face.

"Hey, I'm Kat Moore." The blonde beauty introduces herself when they walk up to the sergeant.

"Sally." Is all the woman replies and ignores Kat's hand. Kat slowly lowers her hand a hard expression appearing on her face and she rolls her eyes at Donovan's rude stand off-ish-ness. Kat assumes her behavior is because they gave her the new Detective Inspector position instead of promoting Sally to this job Kat guesses she clearly wanted based on her nasty, jealous attitude.

"Okay. Well, we are about to have a press conference," Lestrade starts also ignoring Sally's weird behavior. "All you have to do, is sit next to me, don't speak, and follow my lead. Look like you know what your doing."

"Alright." Kat nods her head. "I can do that. No problem."

"Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

With that, the three of them, along with other people, walked into the press room. They each take a seat at the long table in the front of the room.

"The body of Beth Davenport, Junior Minister for Transport, was found late last night on a building site in Greater London." Donovan says as soon as they all sit down at the table in the front of the room. There are loads of press waiting to hear what the detectives have to say constantly snapping photographs for their respective papers and news reports.

"Preliminary investigations suggest that this was suicide." Sally continues. "We can confirm that this apparent suicide closely resembles those of Sir Jeffrey Patterson and James Phillimore. In the light of this, these incidents are now being treated as linked. The investigation is ongoing, but Detective Inspector Lestrade will take questions now."

"Detective Inspector, how can suicides be linked?" One woman asks holding out her voice recorder.

"Well, they all took the same poison." Lestrade starts. "They were all found in places they had no reason to be. None of them had shown any prior indications-"

"You can't have serial suicides," A man interrupts the detective inspector.

"Well apparently you can." Greg replies.

"These three people, there's nothing that links them?" A different man asks him holding out his own voice recorder.

"There's no link we've found yet, but," He pauses swallowing, slightly uncertain. "We're looking for it, there has to be one." Lestrade gets cut off again but this time it is by the chiming of everybody's phone. Everybody's but Kat's.

"If you've all got texts, please ignore them." Donovan says after hastily reading and deleting the text.

"It just says "wrong"." The same reporter announces.

"Well, just ignore that." Donovan tries again. "If there are no more questions for Detective Inspector Lestrade, I'm going to bring this session to an end."

"If they're suicides, what are you investigating?" The same man pushes.

"As I say, these, these suicides are clearly linked. It's an unusual situation. We've got our best people investigating." Lestrade gets cut of again by the phones chiming. Once again, Kat doesn't receive a message.

"Says "wrong" again." A man pitches in.

Kat looks over Greg's shoulder at the text and frowns. "Who is sending these texts? How and why are they sending these texts?"

"It's a very annoying man." Greg explains quietly to me. "I don't know how he is sending them, but it is probably to annoy us."

"One more question." Sally says to the audience of press.

"Is there any chance that these are murders? And if they are, is this the work of a serial killer?" Another woman asks.

"I know that you like writing about these, but these do appear to be suicides. We know the difference." Lestrade assures her. "The, um, the poison was clearly self-administered."

"Yes, but if they are murders, how do people keep themselves safe?" She questions.

"Well, don't commit suicide." Greg dead-pans.

"Daily Mail." Kat mutters under her breath.

"Obviously, this is a frightening time for people, but all anyone has to do is exercise reasonable precautions. We are all as safe as we want to be." The detective adds. Suddenly Lestrade gets another text. Kat looks over his shoulder and reads the text he got.

You know where to find me.

SH

Who is 'SH'? Kat thinks still confused. She was about to ask Greg when he suddenly speaks up.

"Thank you." Lestrade says and with that the two detectives and sergeant Donovan stand up and make their way out of the conference room.

"You've got to stop him doing that." Sally snaps at Lestrade. "He's making us look like idiots."

"If you can tell me how he does it, I'll stop him." Lestrade all but snaps back and Kat rolls her eyes. Donovan, still extremely annoyed, huffs and stomps off in the opposite direction.

"So you never did tell me, but, what was the reason why were you desperate for a new detective?"

"If these suicides continue," Lestrade says. "You'll meet him."

~~~~~~~~~

If you liked this chapter and my story and you want to help me write more, please donate to any or all of the links below or you can find them in my BIO! Thank you! Love you muchly, Kisses -K

BuyMeACoffee - buymeacoffee.com/Immortality4646
LiberaPay - https://en.liberapay.com/Immortality4646/
Ko-Fi - https://ko-fi.com/immortality4646