Hitchhiker

~ Your POV ~

You glance up and down the road anxiously as Ethan talks to you through your phone "It'll be alright (Y/N), I'll fix this, I promise."
You bite your lip "Please get here as soon as you can."
Your best friend laughs slightly "You know if I had the power to teleport to you instantly I would, but I've gotta drive. I'll be there soon, keep a look out, I might look a little different."
You raise an eyebrow "What do you mean?"
You can hear the mischievous tone in his voice "You'll see."
You sigh and run a hand through your hair "Im gonna have to go, I wanna save as much of my phone battery life as I can, I've only got 15% left now. I'll see you soon."
Ethan clears his throat "Ok, dont stress, it's all gonna be fine, I'll be there soon. See ya!"
You hang up and hold your phone in your hands, anxiously turning it over to try and distract yourself as your eyes glance between the view of your broken down car on the side of the road, and the gloomy, silent road in front of you. He'll be here soon, it'll be alright.
You notice some headlights in the distance, and a relieved smile stretches across your face, Ethan! You wave at the car and it pulls over, you bend down to look at the driver, and your smile falls as an unfamiliar man stares back at you.
"Good evening child, Im here to pick you up. Your friend sent me, he's a bit caught up with work right now, so he asked me to drive you back to his home. Im the local priest, Father Peter." The man's voice is eery and makes the hair at the back of your neck stand on end.
You raise an eyebrow "Ethan's never mentioned you..."
Father Peter laughs "I suppose not, I havent seen him in quite some time, I was just visiting the area and bumped into him the other day, we got talking and he asked me to come and get you because he's too busy to do so right now."
You nod slowly, a confused frown taking over your face. Why didnt Ethan tell you he was sending someone else to pick you up? His words echo through your mind 'keep a look out, I might look a little different', could that have been him hinting at sending this guy? It must have been, this is just a funny goof.
You smile kindly at Father Peter "Ok, thank you for coming to get me!"
Father Peter flashes a grin at you that makes you feel slightly uncomfortable, but you ignore it as he pushes open the front passenger seat door of his car, allowing you to sit beside him. As soon as you shut the door, Father Peter begins driving down the road.
"So, you and Ethan, how long have you known each other?" He asks you.
You smile "We've known each other a while now, a good few years, we met in the restaurant he used to work at. I was looking for a decent job to back me up while I was still in college, so I applied for the waitress vacancy at his restaurant, and that's how we met! We've been close ever since."
Father Peter nods "Wonderful. Are you two in a relationship?"
You blush and glance out the window "No no, just friends."
Father Peter pushes further "But you have an interest in him, do you not?"
You smile slightly as you stare out at the night sky "Yeah, but it's not like he'll ever know, or care. It wouldnt change anything if he did know."
Father Peter scoffs "You wont know that for sure unless you tell him, perhaps God pushed you to apply for that job because you are destined to be with Ethan!"
You laugh slightly "If that's the case, I'd appreciate it if God could give me a couple more signs to make it more obvious."
Father Peter simply releases a "hmph" in response, and you take your phone out, deciding to text Ethan.

You: Father Peter is nice. A little weird, but nice.

A few seconds later, you get a response.

E-tan: Who's Father Peter?

Your blood runs cold as you type out your reply with shaking hands.

You: Please tell me you're fucking with me

E-tan: What're you talking about? Listen, Im a few minutes away now, I've had to pull over to reply to you but we can talk when I get there