Day In The Desert

Request: Hello, I was wondering if you could please do an imagine of Ethan with their partner being reluctant about physical contact and saying I love you because they weren't shown or heard it when they were younger. After a while they surprise him by saying those three words and holding his hand and stuff because they trust him? You don't have to but it's something I struggle with doing.

~ Your POV ~

You cant help but feel a little awkward. Going out with your friends is usually something you enjoy, but these are Ethan's friends, and sure, you like them and get along with them, but you dont know them as well as you know your own friends. In addition to that, your close friends know and understand your issues with physical affection, which derive from the clear lack of affection you received as a child. As a result of this, your relationship with Ethan is going at a slower pace than perhaps the average relationship would be. He's assured you that he doesnt mind, and he's promised you he'll let you make all of the first moves with physical affection and such, which was a huge relief to you. Given that your close friends understand your issues with physical affection, you're totally comfortable hanging out with them and having Ethan with you, but with Ethan's friends? They dont know about your hesitance, or why it's there, so when around them, you feel very awkward and like there's an overwhelming pressure to do the things that "normal couples" do. Christ, you havent even held Ethan's hand yet.

Dodie smiles at you kindly "Are you ok (Y/N)?"
You nod at her, with a little too much enthusiasm, which causes her to raise an eyebrow, proving that she doesnt believe you at all. Not that you blame her, you arent exactly the best liar.
Ethan calls you over "(Y/N), come look at this view!"
You shuffle to stand at his side and look out at the view of the desert, a smile makes its way onto your face "It's beautiful."
Ethan smirks at you "Almost as beautiful as you."
You facepalm "Did you call me over here just to use that line on me?"
Ethan grins and nods excitedly "Yep!"
Dodie claps her hands from behind you "Right! Shall we take some photos?"
Immediately, you've spun around on your heel to look at her "Photos?"
She smiles "Yeah, Ethan said you can take incredible pictures, so if you wouldnt mind sharing some of that skill with us, we'd really appreciate it." The rest of the group nod in agreement, and you laugh slightly, shooting a playful glare at Ethan for revealing your photographic talents, in response he lifts his hands up by his head in surrender, causing everyone to laugh.

Dodie gasps as you scroll through the photographs you took of her with your camera "These are amazing! Im posting every single one of these absolutely everywhere, these are gonna be hung up on my wall!"
You blush at her compliments "Im glad you like them."
Ethan sighs dramatically as he stomps over to you, his arms crossed over his chest and a fake sad pout on his face "Baby, you've taken pictures of everyone but me!"
You giggle and give him a cheeky wink "Saving the best for last!"
Ethan grins at this, and then skips a few feet away from you, to sit in the middle of the road, waiting for you. Dodie stops you right before you walk over to him, and shows you a picture she took of Ethan.
"He started laughing at the exact moment I took this picture, and when I asked him what made him laugh, he said he heard you telling a really silly joke to someone. I didnt hear it at all, with is unfortunate, but the photograph came out great thanks to you!"

You cant hold back from smiling at the photo, and you ask Dodie to send you several copies of it so that you can use it in collages etc in the future, as well as getting one of them framed, because that is a truly beautiful picture of your mans

You cant hold back from smiling at the photo, and you ask Dodie to send you several copies of it so that you can use it in collages etc in the future, as well as getting one of them framed, because that is a truly beautiful picture of your mans. Dodie assures you she'll send you multiple copies, and then you go over to Ethan, who is still sitting patiently in the middle of the road.
You grin at him "You picked a really good backdrop, I dont even have to ask you to move!"
Ethan chuckles "I figured if the backdrop was awesome, I'd look less terrible."
You crouch down opposite him, a few feet away, and lift your camera "Oh shush, you're the most gorgeous man in existence Mr Nestor."
Ethan glances slightly to the side, and there's a faint blush on his cheeks from your compliments, but he holds back his smile until you lower your camera again. Looking down at the screen, you gasp.
"Fuck, this is a really good one."
Ethan jumps up and darts over to you, standing slightly behind you and looking over your shoulder.

Ethan's jaw drops "How do you manage to actually make me look good?"You grin up at him "With you, I dont even have to try

You grin up at him "With you, I dont even have to try."
Suddenly, Dodie's voice can be heard from the other side of the car "I want to take some loved up shots of (Y/N) and Ethan, as long as they're both ok with it!"
Ethan looks down at you with a raised eyebrow "We dont have to if you dont want to."
You cant explain what comes over you, but you carry on grinning at him and say "I'd love to."
Ethan mirrors your grin back at you, and as you walk round the car, you let go of your camera with one hand and intertwine your fingers with his. Ethan stares at you with wide eyes for a second, before he grins like an excited child and gently squeezes your hand as you approach Dodie.
"How about a piggyback one? Those are always cute." Dodie suggests.
You frown "I have the upper body strength of a spoon, there is no way on god's green earth Im going to be able to lift Ethan." You joke, making everyone laugh, and then you smile and say "Yeah, piggyback sounds good to me!"
You pass Dodie your camera, and then walk over to what looks like a good backdrop, hand-in-hand with Ethan, who is still grinning like an idiot. Letting go of his hand, you walk behind him, and he crouches down slightly so that you can jump on his back. He hooks his arms under your legs to support you, and you wrap your arms loosely around his neck, your head on his shoulder. With a bright smile on both of your faces as Dodie lifts your camera, you lean close to Ethan's ear, and whisper three words that you never thought you'd hear yourself say to another person.
"I love you."
Ethan's jaw drops, and his entire body tenses. Everyone in the group watches with confused expressions, while Dodie continues snapping pictures. Ethan turns his head to stare at you in shock, giving you such intense heart eyes that you struggle keeping it together. You cover your mouth with your hand as you stifle a giggle, and Ethan gently places you on the ground, swinging you around so that you're in front of him.
"I love you too." He whispers, with so much emotion in his voice, it's a wonder you dont burst into tears.
Leaning up on your tiptoes, you kiss him softly, and Ethan wraps his arms around your waist as everyone in the group cheers, including Dodie. When you pull away, you both just stare at each other with big, dorky grins plastered on your faces. From a few feet away, you hear Dodie sigh.

"Well, if this desert wasnt already boiling us alive, Im pretty sure you guys just set us ON FIRE!"