Blank

~ Your POV ~

His hand feels warm around yours, as you run alongside him, feeling the cool breeze caress your skin as you almost float through the air. As you look to your side, you see Ethan there, smiling at you with bright eyes, you smile back at him. The second you smile back at him, everything stops. You freeze on the spot, the sky goes dark, Ethan's expression disappears, and his hand slips away from yours as he's dragged away from you, into the dark. You reach out to him, cry his name, but you cant move, you cant make a sound. You watch him get pulled away from you, and you cant do anything to stop it.

Waking up with a start, you sit bolt upright, a gasp leaving your body as your shaking hands run through your hair. Your alarm continues to beep obnoxiously at the side of your bed, and it takes your mind a second to recognise the sound. When you do, your eyes widen, and you grab your hospital staff alarm, your heart hammering against your chest as you see which room has alerted you. Ethan.

Your hands are still shaking when they wrap around your car steering wheel, but you arent worried, they often shake after you've had a nightmare, and right now you have other things on your mind. As you drive, you cant help but let your mind wonder down the journey to this moment. From befriending Ethan when you were just kids, to losing contact due to different career paths after high school when you began training to be a mental health nurse, and then totally by chance reuniting with him when he appeared in the mental hospital you still work at. You shake your head and smile sadly, when you asked why he was there, he lied and told you that he was visiting someone, he was too ashamed to tell you the truth: he was considering admitting himself. After that chance meeting, you two became friends again, and quickly recognised that you had a connection that couldnt stay between friends. Your hands grip the steering wheel as you remember how Ethan broke down sobbing, in hysterics as he confessed his feelings towards you, because he was petrified of loving you, hurting you as he lost sight of who he was because of what he was going through. The first time you saw the side of him that he tried to hide, he was sitting in your shared bedroom, on your bed, staring at the wall, with a blank expression and tears rolling down his cheeks. You rushed to his side and asked him what was wrong, but he didnt speak. He couldnt. It didnt take you long to conclude that something far greater than the two of you was going on inside Ethan's head, something that he couldnt control. You crawled onto his lap and wrapped your arms around him, burying your face in his neck, just silently holding him. After a few hours, his arms slowly wrapped around you, and you knew he was back. Over time, he got worse and worse, his control over the side of him that he tried to hide was slipping away, but one thing always remained: you. No matter what, your presence always affected him, it always helped. You dont know how, but it did. You were able to bring him out of his worst states countless times, sometimes you'd come home from work and he would just run into your arms, he was dependant on you. He didnt like that he was, but he couldnt help it.

You managed to persuade him to transfer to the mental hospital you work at, so that he could get some help, and you would be able to take better care of him there. He agreed, so long as you would be there. As soon as the doctors began analysing him, they were at a loss for words, they had never seen anything like what Ethan had. They said it was in different places across the spectrums of a personality disorder, severe depression and anxiety, and paranoia, which they referred to as "Blank Syndrome". They gave him a room, and that's where he has lived since.

At first, you werent allowed to care for him, because of your personal connections, which could be viewed as unprofessional. However, the doctors and nurses soon realised that Ethan could not cope without you, he would freak out whenever someone entered his room, or he saw another person in the hospital, if you werent with him. It took several incidents before you were finally allowed to accept full responsibility for his care.