Nightmare

~ Your POV ~

"(Y/N)? Baby, please wake up." Ethan's quiet voice floats into your ears, pulling you out of your dream.
You rub your eyes tiredly and roll over in Ethan's arms to face him.
"What's goin' on?" You question, your voice laced with the aftermath of your sudden awakening.
It's then you feel how tense Ethan's arms are around your waist, and how heavy his breathing is. With wide eyes, you roll onto your back and pull Ethan into your arms, his face hiding away in your neck.
"Please, just talk to me, and dont let go." Ethan whimpers, and you feel your chest ache at how scared he is.
Without even having to think about it, one of your hands goes to play with his hair, while the other rubs slow circles in his back to calm him down, and you start whispering softly to him.
"It's alright Ethan, it was just a bad dream. Im right here, you're ok, focus on me. Nothing can get you, and nothing ever will, it'd have to get through me first, and I can assure you that if it's you that's in danger, I'll be invincible."
Ethan sniffles into your neck "My invincible girl."
You nod and smile "That's me! I may have the lowest pain threshold known to mankind, but when it comes to you? Aint NOTHIN' getting their filthy hands on my mans."
He chuckles quietly "Do you actually have super powers or something?"
You sigh "Sadly not, otherwise I would've figured out a way to actually fight off whatever asshole scared you in your dream."
Ethan shakes his head "No, that's not what I mean. You're the only person who's ever been able to completely calm me down from that nightmare specifically, I've had to get people to talk to me before, and they did, but nobody has ever been able to completely calm me down as quickly as you have."
You shrug "Not super powers, unless you count my super level of protectiveness and care over the man I love, in which case, yeah."
Ethan turns to kiss your cheek "I love you too."
You absentmindedly continue playing with his hair "The nightmare you had, it's the re-occurring one you had when you were younger right? The one with the white space, flowers blooming, then people blooming from the flowers and walking towards you, speaking gibberish and getting faster the closer they got to you?"
Ethan lifts himself up slightly so that you can see him raising an eyebrow at you "How come you have the worst memory ever, and yet you remember every detail of the nightmare I frequently had as a kid?"
You shrug "I remember important things without realising, they store themselves somewhere in the back of my head and come back when I need them, and things that have scared you or caused you distress are very important things to me. They're things I need to look out for, and know in advance how to deal with, if they were to ever happen again. But I also remember things that make you smile, like talking about your grocery bag Halloween costume when you were really young, or bringing up your favourite puppers Max and Dexter into conversation, or using super cheesy pickup lines on you that are so terrible you cant help but smile at me. I remember the things that I need to remember in order to take care of you and make you happy."
Ethan practically melts at your words, and he's got that almost-smile on his face, the one you see so often because it's the one he does whenever something is so cute he cant cope.
"That's the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me." His voice is low, almost a whisper, and you can hear that he's trying not to get too emotional.
You grin up at him "If you want, I can fill a whole novel with stuff that equates that exact level of sweet, and I'd still have more to say to you once it's over. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, you always have been, and you always will be. I genuinely cannot see myself with anyone other than you. You're my whole world, Ethan."
That same almost-smile stays on his face as he leans down and captures your lips with his in a sweet kiss, something he often does in response to something sweet you say to him, because he's never been good at handling compliments, or being able to put his emotional response into words. That's not to say he's never sweet and he never responds verbally when you say things like that, because he does, but often the powerful things that affect him the most are the ones he just cant find the words to respond to, because no matter how hard he tries, he cant find a single word strong enough to encapsulate just how much he loves you, and that is when he responds with actions. Obviously, you arent gonna complain about his choice of response.
Ethan pulls away slowly, dragging out the kiss as much as he can before he rests his forehead against yours.
"I love you, and there's nobody that I've ever wanted-no, needed, more than I need you." He tells you, so much sincerity in his statement that you find yourself fighting back tears.
You lean up to kiss him just one more time before bringing him back down into your arms "I love you too, and I need you just as much. Right now though, I think we both equally need sleep."
Ethan sighs "I dont really want to go back to sleep, I'd prefer staying awake and talking to you."
You cant help but smile "As would I, but we need to sleep, the youtube grind waits for nobody, remember?"
Ethan laughs slightly "That's true, I just gotta keep on top of my grind!"
You grin "Exactly! And a man with little sleep is a man with poor grind."
Ethan gasps "I need to go to sleep IMMEDIATELY!"
You laugh at how dramatic he is "Off you go then Mister Sir, enjoy your slumber."
Ethan nods into your neck "You too, pretty lady. Goodnight!"
You giggle and shake your head as your hands find his hair again, and you feel him relaxing in your arms, already close to falling asleep, which doesnt surprise you at all.

"Goodnight to you too, handsome man."