Africa By Toto

~ Your POV ~

You feel your heart ache in your chest at the sight of yet another celebrity playing with puppies in an interview. Tonight, you decided to binge watch as many of these celebrity + puppy interviews as you could, with no interest whatsoever in the celebrities, but in the puppy content, obviously. Needless to say, you've very glad that, for once, Buzzfeed are doing something entertaining with their platform. Your phone buzzes from beside you on your couch, and you raise an eyebrow at whoever dares to interupt your session of living vicariously through other people enjoying the bliss of puppies, but as you read the notification on your phone, your raised eyebrow is replaced with a smile.

Eth💙: Hey schmookums! Can you do me the BIGGEST favour and watch the video I just uploaded pleeeaaaasseee? :D

You pause the video you were watching, to type out your response.

You: First of all, never call me schmookums again 😂 Dude, your idea of a favour is getting me to watch THE CrankGameplays? My FAVOURITE youtuber? Awh HELL yeah!

Eth💙: Ok honey gumdrop ;) Oh stop, you're doing wonders for my non-existent self esteem! Let me know what you thinkkkk

You cant help but laugh at your best friend.

You: What is it with you and weird petnames today? 😂 Sure, I'll message you as soon as I hear that oh-so-sweet outro BOP

Eth💙: Awh HELL yeah ;D

You shake your head and put your phone down, before going back to your laptop and opening your youtube subscription box, to see that Ethan uploaded another Reading Your Comments video a few minutes ago. You always love these videos, and you can only imagine how much his viewers enjoy getting to just sit down and kind of chat with him.

Of course, within seconds Ethan's responses have you in stitches. His sense of humour has always connected with yours, since way back when you were teenagers, it's crazy how close the two of you have stayed since then, and that you havent grown apart at all in that time. As you continue to watch the video, you start wondering why Ethan wanted you to watch this video in particular. Nothing that he's brought up in this video so far has been anything out of the ordinary in comparison to the norm of his content, not that you're complaining, but you cant help but question why exactly he wanted you to watch this so badly.
"And for this last question: 'Ethan, why do you love the song Africa by Toto so goddamn much? I understand it's a real bop, but you seem to have a connection with it that goes beyond the meme'." As Ethan reads the question out loud, you cant help but laugh.
Ethan smiles and nods at the camera "You're right, I do have a connection with that song that goes beyond the meme! Obviously, the fact that the song has become a meme recently is awesome, but it only really gives me an excuse to bring up my all time favourite song, which has held that title since I was a teenager."
You raise an eyebrow, intrigued, he's never mentioned a story behind his love for Africa by Toto before.
Ethan continues "When I was about 13, I was walking down the school halls in a rush of people at the beginning of the school day. I had my earphones in, and when I looked to my left, I saw this beautiful girl standing a few feet away from me. Right as she looked up at me, the song Africa by Toto started playing through my earphones, Im not joking, it was like some hardcore cheesy chick-flick shit. Basically, ever since then, that song has been my favourite, because it reminds me of her. For all of you wondering, no, she wasnt some crush that I was too scared to talk to, the girl who gave this song meaning for me was actually my best friend: (Y/N). She's been in my videos before and I've mentioned her countless times, she's super cool and I like her a whole lot, so yeah, that's why I love that song!" Ethan grins at the camera, then recites hit outro as the music plays out.
You blink rapidly, tears beginning to roll down your cheeks. All this time, his love for Africa by Toto...it was because of you!?! Your phone beeps again at your side, and you pick it up hurriedly.

Eth💙: Can I ask another favour of you?

You sniffle and type out your response.

You: After that adorable thing I just witnessed? I will do literally anything

Eth💙: Anything? :D

You: What exactly is it that you want?

Your eyes widen as his reply reaches your phone. You cant quite believe the words on your screen.

Eth💙: I'd like to escape the friendzone please