Prologue Part 2

* 1 year later *

(Regina's chambers)

Regina crouched down and watched as Daniella took small steps toddling towards her mother. "Come, my little firefly. You can do it" The young princess fell into her mother's arms and giggled. Regina swept up her daughter and they walked over to the chaise, where Daniella's dolls sat. With Daniella peacefully playing with her toys, Regina walked over to her vanity and sighed. It was Snow White's 12th birthday and although Regina only endured two of the spoiled princess' birthday balls, she already knew that the night would be long. Just as she was about to mentally set the princess on fire, Regina heard quick shuffles of footsteps. She looked around to see Snow peer into the room. "Is Daniella in here with you?" 

Before Regina could answer, the princess ran towards the chaise and sat with her younger sister. Daniella immediately made some space around the couch so that Snow could play with her. Although Regina thought that the scene was adorable, she reminded herself of what the elder princess had done. Frowning, she walked over to Snow and said, "Snow dear, you're going to be twelve soon....you need to focus more on your studies instead of playing with Daniella" 

Snow looked up to her stepmother. "But why? I don't see why studying the 'history of the enchanted forest' will help me anytime soon. Also, my new tutor is sooo boring. He insisted that I had to learn about the Battle of Wordsworth before my next lesson!" 

"Boring or not, your father will not be pleased if he heard you say this. His hopes for you as the future queen is high. Also, you should be happy to hear that I started learning history when I was much younger than you, Snow" , Regina coolly said to Snow. The princess huffed when Regina added, "And shouldn't you be with Joanna now? You wouldn't want to come unprepared to your birthday ball would you?" Snow answered, "I guess not...I'll go find her then. See you at the party". The princess got up and shuffled out of her stepmother's room despite Daniella's discontent whines.

Regina's frown softened as she sat down on the chaise and moved Daniella onto her lap. The little princess didn't seem to mind now that her sister left her. She continued playing with her dolls whilst her mother bounced her gently on the lap. "Sorry my little firefly but I can't let you become too close to Snow. I know that you think she's your sister but soon enough, I'll make sure that you two will be separated when you find out the truth. Also, I need you to be on my side. Snow doesn't need you, she already has the whole kingdom who is willing to fall at her ungrateful knees. Daniella, you'll understand when the time comes."  The young princess, understanding only half of what her mother said to her was unfazed by the comment. 

After several minutes, Regina and Daniella were interrupted when a trio of maids entered the room. Two of the young women were Regina's personal servants whereas a slighter older one who stood behind the duet had been assigned to look after Daniella, much like Joanna's duties to Snow. "Your majesty, it's time to prepare for Princess Snow's birthday ball. Evangeline will care for Princess Daniella whilst I help you dress".  Regina stood up and nodded, "thank you, Greta". Then, she placed Daniella into Evangeline's arms and watched them walk away to Daniella's room. 

Meanwhile, Greta had already begun to take out the dresses that Leopold had bought when he visited King Midas's kingdom. Regina glanced at the outfits and whispered to herself, "Well its not like I have a choice of what to wear anyway". 

....................

(In the grand ballroom)

"Do you like it? I brought it back from one of my travels, I was told that the jewels gave the wearer of the tiara luck"

Snow beamed up at her father whilst the crowd of royal and noble spectators watched the Princess receive her gifts. "Of course I like it, I love it, thank you father! It looks like the crowns that mother used to wear. I hope I'll look like her with this tiara," said Snow in practically one breathe. The King chuckled and answered, "Don't worry, you'll be even prettier than your mother in the future. I'm glad that you like my gift though. You can wear it to balls and festivals now." 

Snow continued to unwrap present after present as she received adoration from the crowd. Regina however found the room suffocating. Why is it that after almost three years of being dead, Queen Eva is still mentioned in every public occasion?! 

As soon as Snow finished unwrapping the gifts from the royal guests and began to move onto the packages from the nobles, Regina moved silently away from the crowd. Unsurprisingly to her, no one had noticed the Queen's absence.

Regina followed the shadows out of the room, the sound of her heels masked under the heavy fabrics of her light blue dress. When she made her way into the silent corridor that connected the royal chambers, she suddenly felt a strange feeling on her back as if someone was watching. Regina tossed her head around and stopped walking but there was no sign of anyone, not even any guards. Just as she was about to walk again, she heard a faint giggle. Shaken and unnerved, Regina spoke shakily after making sure again that there weren't any guards or servants nearby,"Rumplestiltskin! Is that you?". Another giggle confirmed her suspicions and in a few seconds, a dark maroon coloured smoke appeared and revealed the Dark One. His scale-like green glittery face had been pasted with a strange smug expression as he spoke, "you know, you don't have to torture yourself with boredom in this musty place if you allow me to teach you magic."

Regina sent a glare at the imp and through gritted teeth, she uttered, "Why do you insist that I learn magic with you? I have already told you that I didn't want to end up like my mother, especially since I have to raise Daniella. I don't want her to have the same life that I did!"

Rumplestiltskin raised his eyebrows, "Ah well, what if the royal court finds out the truth about your daughter? That's right. You and the child would be in danger. How about I make a little deal with you, your majesty. Considering that I already helped you banish your mother, I believe that this is pretty fair wouldn't you say?"

Regina gave a sharp outtake of breath and half shouted, "What do you want from me? Go away! I don't want to do this! Stop pressuring me, I'm not going to corrupt myself with magic. It's going to destroy my daughter!"

"Oh, but I'm sure you've already had several ideas about what to do with the King and his daughter haven't you? Without them, the crown would rest on your pretty little head..." the imp tormented bluntly.

Regina's eyes widened before stepping towards Rumplestiltskin. "Stop it! What if anyone hears you? If I'm executed along with Daniella right now, it'll be your fault, not anyone else's."

"Well, well, well. This just proves that you have thought about taking the crown for yourself haven't you? In this case, wouldn't magic be helpful? But alas, you refuse. Mark my words, your majesty. Soon you'll come to me begging for the magic you refused to learn."

Regina bit her lip and glared into the imp's crocodile eyes, "you're up to something". Rumplestiltskin however only giggled and with the wave of his hand, transported Regina away to Daniella's chambers in a puff of smoke. Satisfied with the fear and doubt that he had shaken into the Queen, Rumplestiltskin made his way into Snow White's chambers. There, he waited to meet the Princess...