Chapter 79

(Regina's POV)

I lead Daniel down to the castle courtyard, where the source of the protection spell was located. All of my senses were on alert for any abnormal movement as we walked through the drafty hallways and stairwells. There was an uneasy feeling within me but I dismissed it for I knew that I had to focus on my task rather than worry about that witch. When we got to the landing, Daniel nodded towards the beacon and asked, "Is that it? The protection spell?"

I approached it with a whisper, "Yes." Then, I held my hand up to calm the magic. It latched onto my palm and I willed it down. I closed my eyes in concentration and soon enough, the last remnants of the spell disappeared. I turned around to Daniel but my breath was taken away when I saw that he no longer stood there behind me. I glanced frantically around and nearly had the fright of my life when a feminine accented voice sounded from the shadows, "You weren't even going to say hello first? It's not exactly the welcome I was expecting."

I snarled, "Come out so that I can see you, witch."

The figure slowly stepped out and I held back a remark as the shadows cast a particular glow that highlighted her dark green skin. She tilted her head and asked, "Now, what does a witch have to do to get your attention?"

I created a fireball in my hand and growled, "Where is he?"

"Your stableboy?" I frowned but she continued before I could reply. "Oh don't worry about him, he isn't harmed....yet."

I threw the ball of fire at the witch but she deflected it. She laughed and said, "Oh you do love him don't you?"

I immediately reached to choke the witch and for a few seconds, she was held into the air by my magic. Regrettably, she was able to break free from the force and in an instant, my feet were stunned. I snarled, "Don't you dare touch him-"

"Oh I'll give him back, if that's what you really want. I just need to have a little chat with you."

I glared at her and asked, "What the hell are you doing here?"

She stalked closer to me and muttered, "You really don't know who I am, do you?" I rolled my eyes and replied easily, "I know exactly who you are. The Wicked Witch."

"Is that all?" the witch asked with a raised eyebrow. I felt the magic binding me ease a bit so I poured my own powers against it and broke the bonds on my feet. I regained my stance and said in a bored tone, "I'm not that interested."

"Please, allow me to introduce myself. You can call me Zelena."

As she sashayed around, I noticed that the dress she wore was too familiar. Unlike Storybrooke, clothes were tailored, rather than bought in stores. I pointed to her clothes and remarked in a voice that barely hid the annoyance that was building up, "That's my dress."

"I had to take it in a little bit at the hips but it looks better on me, don't you think?"

How dare she call me thick! "I think you should never have left Oz," I stated simply. 

"My pretty, you can have your castle back if you want it so badly. I was just trying it on for size. Besides, I've already seen everything worth seeing. Your closet. Your gardens. Your crypt."

A tiny lump formed in my throat. "Yes, how did you break the blood lock? The door was open, no one's that powerful," I reasoned. 

The witch threw me a fake expression of pity and murmured, "Did Cora really never tell you?"

I crossed my arms and raised my eyebrow as I asked, "Tell me what?"

"The truth about us, Regina."