Chapter 14

(3rd Person POV)

Months have passed since the first flakes of snow fell upon the Enchanted Forest for the year. As the days rolled by, the frost slowly melted into the wet moist soil and the sounds of birds sounded again through the fresh green leaves. Spring has come and in the west region of the Dark Kingdom, a young girl was running amongst the cool chilly air and tall fir trees.

A man was also amongst the trees, searching this way and that for his daughter then...."I found you!"

The young girl giggled and replied, "Now it's my turn to hide. You can seek."

The former Mad Hatter, Jefferson, lowered his voice and said, "I'm sorry my dear Grace. I'm afraid playtime's over. Instead, do you think you can use that nose of yours to hunt for mushrooms to sell tomorrow at the market?

Grace nodded her head and the pair walked back to their home in the woods. As they neared their cottage, Grace gasped and quickly squeezed her father's hand. "Whose carriage is that?"

Looking at the black carriage that was parked outside the cottage, Jefferson answered in a glum voice, "It's the Queen."

Grace frowned and said in a hushed whisper, "In our house? Do you know her?"

Jefferson was suddenly reminded of his encounter with Regina when she was still young and a newlywed queen. Regina had sought help from Jefferson and the Doctor for she hoped that Daniel could be raised from the dead. However, Jefferson and the Doctor both failed in their mission and right now, Jefferson wished that he had done the right thing all those years ago. The whole ordeal was a manipulation. The Doctor had made a deal with him in the desire to take an enchanted heart back to his world to conduct experiments. Jefferson knew that Daniel wouldn't be raised from the dead because the Doctor wasn't even trying. Therefore, he had done nothing to help Regina other than give her false hope. Now, Jefferson felt as if he was paying the price, seeing the Evil Queen's carriage right outside his home.

"Stay hidden in the woods, like our game. I'm going to find out what she's doing here."

Grace sighed and walked towards the dense trees. After making sure that Grace was well hidden and not sneakily looking at the scene, Jefferson slowly approached his house and pushed open the door. Cringing as it groaned, Jefferson walked into his cottage to see the Queen standing in the middle of the space, holding Grace's tatty pink doll in her hands.

"I'd like to say you're looking well, but I'd be lying. Poverty doesn't suit you but alas, I have a job for you."

Jefferson grumbled, "I don't do that anymore."

"Oh I'm aware. You've hung up your hat. Why?" After a pause, Regina continued in a sickly taunting voice, "Is it because of your sweet daughter Grace?"

"Because of my work, she lost her mother. And I don't want her to lose her father too. You out of all people should understand."

Regina narrowed her eyes at Jefferson. "And why would you say this?"

"Despite what you may want people to believe, the King wasn't Daniella's father was he?"

"Is it really that obvious?"

There was no reply. Finally, Regina spoke up again, "Well, then. You would also be aware of the fact that a single parent would do whatever it takes for their child's future hmm? What kind of future does your daughter have here with you? Do this one last favour for me, and you can give her the life she deserves."

Jefferson looked towards the doll that Regina was clutching in her hands. "You don't abandon family. That's what Grace deserves. Now, please leave."