Chapter 51

(At midnight, Daniella's POV)

The voices drew closer and closer, louder and louder. I held onto my mother tightly as she rubbed my back. Her whispers did nothing to comfort me for I knew what the mob would do. I didn't want to ask her if we were going to be alright, because I knew that we weren't. Then, the deafening grind of grandfather's coffin being rolled to one side rung in my ears. Footsteps flooded down the stairs. They turned and...men appeared. They rushed towards us and ripped me from my mother's arms. There were screams. Kill them, tear out their throats, make them suffer.

They held me down as I watched them tear like scavengers at my mother. I was forced to watch as a man drew out his sword. I was shouting for them to stop. Please, don't. Please. Please!

They took no notice of me. I watched the blade come down and something roll onto the cool stone tiles. I screamed.

.......

"Daniella! Daniella! Wake up! It's just a nightmare!"

I bolted upright, sheets clad in sweat around me. Panting, I looked around me to see my mother beside me. "Daniella, you're alright?"

My mouth was dry. In a raspy voice I answered between breathes, "I, I, I think so..." Then, I threw my arms around mother. She returned the gesture, whispering, "It's fine now, mama's got you."

I gripped her tighter, just like I did in the nightmare. "Daniella, do you want to tell me what happened?"

I shook my head vigorously. Mother frowned in response. Then, she said gently, "I'll get you a cup of water. It'll make you feel better."

After she left, I fell back onto the sticky bed sheets and exhaled loudly. Holding my doll tightly, I stared at the ceiling and thought about the dream. It won't become reality, will it?

"Dani?"

I looked towards the doorway and saw Henry's head peek into my room. I sat up slowly and replied, "Did I wake you?"

He came in and sat on my bed, saying, "I think you woke up the entire neighbourhood."

I felt the edges of my lips lift up. 

"You ok?"

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Nightmare?"

I nodded. 

"What was it about?"

I eyed Henry with a look that told him that I really did not want to explain. However, he insisted, "Was it about the curse?"

Luckily, I didn't have to answer for mother's voice came through the doorway, "Henry, get back to bed please."

My brother turned around and said, "But there's no school tomorrow!"

"Henry!"

With a grunt, he walked past mother with his footsteps pattering loudly down the hallway outside. Mother handed a cup of water to me and whilst I sipped it, she whispered, "Do you want to tell me what happened?"

I gave a glance towards the door so she got up and shut it. Then, I said quietly, "The curse broke in my dream."

When mother sat down onto my bed, I curled up into her arms. "You were screaming dear. Why?"

Without looking up into her eyes, I mumbled, "They came into our vault and...well, they were looking for blood."

"Daniella..." Mother sighed. She cupped my face into her hands and whispered, "I won't ever let anyone hurt you, you know that. It's gonna take the whole world to tear us apart again."