Chapter 15

(Daniella's POV)

As soon as Grace and I both set foot in the castle, a maid rushed towards us. She curtsied to me and said, "Your Highness, the Queen is back and she wishes to speak to both of you."

I asked the maid if my mother was in her chambers and after a nod of confirmation, I used my magic to take Grace and I there.

After the purple smoke cleared, there was one observation that I immediately made. Grace must have had the same thought as me as she whispered under her breath, "Daniella, where's my father?"

I breathed back, "I'm not sure..," as I walked towards my mother who was sitting at her vanity. "Mother you're back. Did you get grandfather?"

My mother stood up and smiled at me. "Yes I did. However, I have to speak to Grace about something."

As Grace walked slowly towards us, my mother began, "Grace, dear, I'm afraid that there has been an accident whilst your Father and I were in Wonderland. He was trapped by the Queen of Heart's guards and unfortunately, I couldn't rescue him for the portal back to our land was already closing."

Grace stood rooted to the spot with her mouth agape. Her eyes roamed over my mother's visage as if they were searching for the truth. Breaking the silence, my mother continued in an indifferent voice, "I'm sorry."

There was another moment of silence before Grace muttered softly in broken words, "but he...he...promised that he would...come back..."

Seeing Grace tear up, I went towards her to give her a hug but she pushed me away as she glared at me. "No, I don't want your pity." I was about to reply when she raised her voice slightly and said clearly to my mother, "If my father didn't agree to help on whatever mission you went on, he wouldn't have been captured by the guards! He is the only family I have!"

I did feel sorry for Grace so despite her struggles against my embrace, I said in place of my mother, "I understand and I'm sorry that he didn't come back to you. I'm sure it was just an accident."

As I entangled my arms from Grace, I looked up to my Mother and asked, "but can't we do something about Jefferson? Mama...you're magic is powerful enough right?"

Instead of what I hoped, my mother replied coldly, "Sorry but there is nothing I can do about the Hatter. The barrier between realms are beyond my power to influence."

I was about to reply but Grace was already shouting in desperation. "Please, Your Majesty. There must be something that you can do. If you can't bring back my father then, send me to Wonderland instead!"

I looked at Grace, "No way are you going to Wonderland. It's not a safe place!"

Thankfully, my Mother agreed with me on this point as she said calmly, "Daniella's right. I'm not going to send you to Wonderland but I will keep part of my promise to your father. He wished that you would have a good future so I'm going to send you to a boarding school in King George's kingdom instead."

"A boarding school?! I don't want to go to a boarding school; I just want to be with my father!"

I held my breath as my Mother spoke sternly, "Grace, I will not be talked to in such a manner."

Grace opened her mouth to shout back but I quickly covered her mouth, pleading, "Grace, stop. Please remember who you're talking to..."

Grace's eyes narrowed into a glare as she shrugged me away. After a long moment of silence, she uttered, "Yes, I'm well aware I'm talking to the Queen...but fine. I'll go to the boarding school."

Plastering a fake smile on her face, my mother replied, "That's better. You'll be escorted back to your cottage to gather the things you want to take with you to King George's Kingdom. You will leave tomorrow in the early morning  for your new home."