Chapter 87

(Daniella's POV)

.....continuation of the previous chapter

No no no no it's impossible, they can't be here. My hands shook tremendously as I flicked it in the air. Damn it. Magic never works when I'm scared.

My heart plummeted as if it was tied to a bundle of heavy rocks. I needed to get away but I can't. Distantly I heard my brother yell my name but I was unable to respond. I stumbled backwards and fell onto the floor. I only felt my heartbeats pounding in my chest for I wasn't breathing. I put a shaking hand on my chest as I felt my eyes warm up with desperate tears. Someone touched me and I yelled out. Even though the figures backed off, I could still feel it; the closing air around my lungs and the pinch against my airways. Suddenly, I wanted to vomit. I put my hand on the floor and panted, but nothing came out. 

Just when I felt like I was going to pass out, I saw something black crouch down beside me. I looked up briefly in panic and saw that it was one of my guards. I gripped onto him in desperation as I tried to find oxygen. 

His voice was deep yet paradoxically gentle when he spoke, "Your highness, listen to me ok? You'll be fine, just breath. Look at me, look." I searched his face but his helmet was covering the majority of it. He must have noted that for he took it off and repeated, "Look at me. Just concentrate on my words ok? You'll be fine. Follow what I'm doing. Breath in, count. 1, 2, 3, 4..."
He put his hand on my back as I tried to do what he was telling me to. "Ok, now breath out, 1, 2, 3, 4..."

After a few rounds of his steady counting, my mind wandered to focus on the pace of my breaths again. I just knew they were getting faster and faster....

"Princess, it's alright, just try and get into the pattern again. Slowly, slowly..."

He stayed with me for several minutes as he helped me regulate my breathing. Although I still felt weak, I soon no longer felt that sickening constricting force on my throat.

"Do you feel better, your highness?"

I looked down and murmured with a trembling voice, "What happened to me?"

................

(Regina's POV)

"Regina, you're avoiding the matter."

I swung around, still feeling that weight of hurt sitting at the bottom of my gut. I tried not to let my voice get out of control as I replied sharply, "Of course. We were in front of Daniella! What did you expect me to do? She shouldn't have to worry about us." Then, I fell back onto the chaise and sighed as I didn't want to deal with the argument yesterday. Besides, I couldn't help but feel as if sharing my feelings with Daniel would be futile. Besides, I cannot. It'd reveal too much.

Although he was standing beside me, it was as if he wasn't there at all. I rested my head on the cushions and waved my hand, creating some warmth in the fireplace before me. Daniel grabbed the fur throw in the basket next to the chaise and put it over me. Then, he sat down and began quietly, "I'm sorry if you're hurt because of what I've said yesterday."

I didn't reply. I was too tired to speak. All I did was lean my head onto his shoulder as he pulled me into him. Taking a deep breath, I whispered, "I don't know if I can fight my sister. She'll be here tomorrow and I don't know if I can defeat her."

"Of course you can," Daniel replied in a matter of fact voice. "You're the most powerful sorceress in these lands; or at least, from what I've heard."

A tiny sad smirk formed on my face but I shook my head and said, "But Zelena's from a different land. I have no idea what her capabilities are. She's hurt and she wants revenge. I can't beat that."