Chapter 92 - The End

Flashback (Continuation from the previous chapter)

(Lyra's POV *one of the spinsters)

My eyes snapped up as the Queen asked, "How old were you?"

"Twenty five. He thought I was too old."

She chuckled in a low throaty voice as her head turned to one side. I was left pondering over her reaction. Then, it struck me. There would only be one reason why she would be interested in my story. My eyes widened, not realising that it must have made quite the impression.

"I would be surprised if you had let go of your feelings towards Daniella, because as it is evident, it will take a long time to come to terms with what Snow White did. But I trust that you will do your best to stay away from my daughter."

I nodded but she continued to look at me strangely as if contemplating whether to do something or not. 

"Come with me," she commanded as she started walking out of her chambers. I scampered after her in vain. It was surprising how quickly she could walk. The guards bowed when the doors to her chambers opened and she led me through the corridor with the mirrors on one side of the wall. I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection and saw how tired I looked. We soon entered the large room with the portraits hanging on the wall. Then, the Queen flicked her hand and to my surprise, a part of the wall, about the size of a normal doorway disappeared. She motioned me to go in, so I had no choice but to walk in first. It was a tunnel. I didn't get far before the musty air made me cough. The only source of light were torches along the wall. I frowned but the Queen answered my question as she said, "They're enchanted to light up at someone's presence."

I should be scared, but I wasn't. I was more intrigued. Except, that was cut short as I nearly walked straight into a cobweb. I didn't dare look back at the Queen's reaction but no wonder she got me to walk first. The corners of this tunnel was infested with cobwebs and grime.

Soon however, we got to a wooden door to which the Queen pressed her palm against. There was a glow of magic underneath her hand and the door swung open. She stepped in which beckoned me to follow her. It was dark in the room at first, but then she waved her hand and the torches on the walls lit up. Amongst the shadows, and piled up around the room, were furniture, intricate items and golden knick knacks. I was able to make out frames of paintings peeking out beneath calico sheets. However, the Queen drew my attention when she coughed. I turned around, and leaning against the wall that she was standing at, was a large painting. I came closer and under the flicking orange light from the torches, I made out the faces of a King, no doubt Snow's father. He was smirking triumphantly with a gleaming golden crown on his balding head. He stood dominantly next to a chair, in a stance that screamed patriarchal power. His hand was resting on the back of the chair, upon which a teenager sat, dressed in white. 

My eyes swept over the bottom of the wide decorative gown and traced up to the bodice where glimmering diamonds and pearls were stitched in a neat beautiful pattern. With her dress pulled in at her waist so tightly, it only accentuated just how thin her arms were. My eyes trailed up to stare at the brilliant diamond necklace that perched on the decolletage of this petite frame. I avoided the face to look at the heavy crown nestled above the bride's towering hair. The veil was still there, but it was moved to one side, tucked behind a dazzling earring. This bride was literally adorned with jewels like some kind of coronet, but her eyes were not sparkling. They were in fact, fearful.