Chapter 49

(Emma's POV)

My mind slowly opened itself back to reality as I blinked several times. Son of a-

I looked around the room and got up steadily, hoping that I wouldn't fall over because of the sudden jelly-like feeling in my legs. When I had stood up successfully, I the soft sound of a shrill slide of a blade. Peeking past the door, I saw the madman sitting on a stool in another room with a pair of scissors in his hand. He was frowning as he sharpened it. Considering his concentrated face, I decided that he was probably well emerged in his job. I held my breath and quietly snuck out of the room. In the corridor, an endless selection of doors met my gaze. He must have taken Henry and Daniella to another room! Shit, if they're harmed, Regina's gonna do much more than just kill me...

Biting my lip, I opened a random door on my left and slipped through. At one end of the room, there was a stream of blue light from the moon which flooded in through the window. It shone upon a woman tied upon a chair. Wait, Mary Margaret?!

I immediately rushed over to her and removed the gag from her mouth. Then, she whispered, "Oh Emma, thank god."

I frowned, "What are you doing here?"

Stammering, my room-mate replied, "I was in the woods, trying to get away and this man appeared out of nowhere. Emma, why are you here?"

"I was trying to find you! You escaped, remember? How even did you get out?"

"There was a key under my pillow. Someone put it there."

What the hell...."Who?"

"I don't know, but I'd like to know just as much as you do."

Right after I had untied the ropes around her legs and feet, there was a horrible patter of footsteps down the hallway. Suddenly, the click of a gun sounded through the silent air. Then, the madman's voice said, "I see you've found your dog. Now, tie her back up."

The blood drained out of my face. However, I turned towards Mary Margaret and whispered, "It's gonna be ok." Then, I did as I was told. After that, I turned around and grunted, "What do you want?"

The man smirked as replied simply, "I need you to do something."

I followed him out of the room and into another. He gestured for me to sit down in front of a table. I did so, and glanced at the sewing machine, rolls of fabric and pins on the surface. I glared at him and said, "I don't know what you think you're doing but if you hurt my friend, my son, or the Mayor's daughter for that matter, I swear I'll make you regret it."

"Regret it?" Then, the man started to chuckle. "I'm saving your friend's life."

I frowned, "And how the hell do you plan to do that? And why?"

The man's next words took me by surprise. "Don't play stupid, we both know what happens when people try to leave Storybrooke."

"What are you talking about" I asked in a tired voice.

Jefferson stood up and walked to the window opposite the desk. Then, he turned the two armchairs around to face me. I gasped when I saw Henry and Daniella's unconscious forms on each of them. Then, Jefferson answered my question, "The curse."

I allowed a pause to hang in the air before sighing. "What curse?"

"The one that's been keeping us all trapped. All except you...and a few"

I looked at him warily. "Have you been reading Henry's book?"

"Aha. Henry. And his book of stories, the ones that you chose to ignore. Maybe if you knew what I know, you wouldn't."