Chapter 91

(Daniella's POV)

*3 days later....

Grandmother was placed in the crypt next to grandfather's coffin but Zelena's body was buried somewhere in the palace cemetery, away from the prominent royal tombs. 

Mother put her arm around me and pulled me in close when we stood beside grandma's casket. She placed a single red rose on top in silence. I added another, feeling a sense of vacancy in my chest for I had no idea how to react or feel. The past couple of days had been difficult for mother, considering that her relationship with Cora was just starting to improve. Thankfully, I didn't have to answer too many concerned questions asking if I was alright after the confrontation with the witch as mother had magically sealed off the entrance to our wing of the palace. Snow had been rather persistent in trying to get mother's attention but for the most part, she was ignored. 

I traced my finger on the carvings on grandmother's stone casket. I heard mother's sniffles behind me but they were cut short when footsteps approached. I looked up in surprise to see Rumple walk into the crypt with a rose in hand. He too, put it on top of the casket and said, "Black always was your colour, your majesty."

She seethed, "I'm here to bury my mother. So if you've come to gloat-"

"I came to pay my respects. We had our differences, but Cora will always have a place in my heart."

Mother growled dangerously, "She wouldn't have died if you had agreed to help us defeat Zelena. You're the Dark One, yet you've refused to help."

"Yes, I'm the Dark One but that doesn't mean I have to interfere with every little family drama that occurs in this land."

"Little? Little?! That witch has done more than upset the natural balance of power. She threatened the kingdom's security, in case you haven't noticed. I wasn't the only one concerned about her game of charades."

Rumple quipped, "I believe the real reason why you're so upset is because of your Stable-boy. It's a shame that you had to pay more attention to defeating your sister than realizing that someone so dear to you wasn't happy."

I held my breath as mother replied in a low voice, "I have no idea what you want right now, but I suggest you drop your act and leave. If you planned on rubbing salt into the wound, you'll be disappointed to hear that my scars have already healed."

"Oh really? You know, for the once great and mighty Evil Queen, I'm surprised to learn that you haven't killed that woman and erased your boyfriend's memories. After all, he'll never know what really happened."

I was growing more uncomfortable by the second as they mentioned father in their conversation. Mother answered in a low determined voice, "I'm not that person anymore. That person darkened my heart and I refuse to let evil rule my life when I have two people to live for now. Henry and Daniella."

Rumple didn't reply so mother took my hand and dragged me away. Once we were out of his earshot, I decided to change the topic. "Mama, what will happen to Wonderland now? Will the revolutionaries take over the land there?"

She replied, "Snow and I have written to the foreign correspondence there. I do not think it's best if you were to inherit the throne of Wonderland. It wouldn't be safe, nor practical. Besides, the power of Wonderland doesn't legitimately belong to your grandmother. Unlike myself, she didn't gain her power through marriage. But in any case, what happens to Wonderland will not affect the Enchanted Forest; and right now, we are in discussion over the division power. As you've heard me discuss with the council, much has changed since the time before the curse so there is much work to be done to ensure that no messy fighting would break out. Representatives from all the royal families will come here this evening. I imagine it will be interesting to see everyone here at the same time. Allies and enemies alike. I suspect that allegiances have changed, but I would be too hopeful to say it's for the better."