Chapter 25

(Regina's POV)

I was absentmindedly fingering Daniel's ring on my finger when purple smoke appeared in front of me. I looked up to see Daniella take her seat with a glum expression on her face. "Firefly, are you alright?"

Daniella nodded and answered under her breath, "Yeah. I'm fine. The guards are just dealing with something at the moment."

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

"They're punishing someone."

"The girl whom you were talking to?" I asked confused.

Daniella shook her head. "No. Teagan- the orphanage caretaker."

"What did she do to you? Did she harm you?"

Daniella quickly answered, "Nothing, she didn't do anything to me." 

I sighed and rapped my knuckle against the carriage walls, signalling for the driver to take us back home.  

.............................

(Daniella's POV)

After dinner, I decided to look for the guards who punished Teagan. Throughout the meal, the events at the orphanage earlier were gnawing into my brain; I hope that the guards didn't treat her too badly...

Mother would probably scold me if she found out that I went to the dungeons so I snuck down to the servants' quarters whilst she was taking a bath and preparing for the night. As I passed the maids and servants, they gave me a strange look. However, I ignored them whilst I tried to look for the passage to the dungeons. Feeling like a fool, I eventually asked a guard who was walking past. He took me to flight of tight spiralling stairs and as we descended, the air suddenly felt hot and sticky. There was also a stale stench that hung around the dim yellow lanterns which lead the way to the prison cells. I knew that the guards who accompanied my mother and I today usually took care of dungeon duties so I hoped that I would be able to find them in these quarters. 

After asking the guard who showed me the way to leave, I felt my heart thump as I turned into a sharp corner of the passageway. Cells that resembled bird cages loomed into view and behind the dirty iron rods was darkness. Occasionally however, there would be movement at the corner of my eye. Before I walked any further, a guard walked towards me. He was a little too short to be one of the guards who went with me to the village today.

In a juvenile voice, the guard stuttered, "Your Highness, forgive me for asking but what business could you possibly have down here?"

"Uh, I wish to speak with Tyler and Berkley."

"Alright. I'll fetch them for you."

As the guard turned around to leave, I quickly said, "Wait! Just take me to them."

Stammering, he replied, "Well follow me then, your Highness."

Glum and sullen the faces behind the prison cells looked as if they had seen hell. I shuddered and quietly asked the guard, "How many days have these prisoners been residing in here since?"

"Not that long actually. For a common criminal, I would say that they get a week in their cell until they are executed."

"And what sort of crimes does one commit to be considered a common criminal?"

The guard shifted uncomfortably beside me as he grunted something inaudible. Then, he cleared his voice and muttered, "Most of them are thrown here because of treason."

I frowned at the guard's voice and behaviour. Then, I asked him bluntly, "How old are you?"

"17 years old, your Highness...why do you ask?"