Chapter 58

(Daniella's POV)

A shadow stepped out from the curtains. I looked up a pair of black polished shoes to stare at the grinning face of Jefferson.

"Jefferson..." My voice wobbled as I asked, "What are you doing here?"

I stood up slowly as the Hatter chuckled. Then, he locked his eyes with me and whispered, "I was just looking for my hat. I'm sure that your dear mother has it somewhere. Now, I believe that you are aware of it's whereabouts, aren't you?"

I shook my head. "Why would I know where it is?"

Jefferson stepped closer to me and answered, "Because you're planning to return to the Enchanted Forest."

My stance faltered. "What?" There was a moment of silence before I continued, "Where did you get this idea from?"

"Oh, I simply guessed. You couldn't possibly be content in this land. Well, not whilst you have no power or magic."

I narrowed my eyes. "So you're also planning to return to the Enchanted Forest? I thought that you were content here with Grace."

"Content? Well, I guess I could say that. Although, the hat is mine. And I would like to be in possession of my own belongings."

I answered quickly, "I'm not here for the hat."

"But you can get the hat back for me."

"Why would I want to do that?"

The shadows seemed to cast a dark silhouette on one side of the Hatter's face. He lowered his voice and replied, "You will get the hat back for me."

My heart pounded at the change in his tone. I shook my head slowly but Jefferson stepped closer. Then, he slid his hand on the inside of his suit and drew out something shiny. It jingled in front of my face as he held it out. My eyes widened, "The keys!"

Jefferson ignored my remark. "The hat is in the vault isn't it?"

I took a breath and answered, "If you already knew that, why didn't you break in?"

The Hatter shifted on his feet.

"Are you uncomfortable to sneak into my family's crypt?"

"NO!" Jefferson shouted. I stepped back. Then, his voice lowered to a more gentle tone. "Well, it isn't proper to go uninvited into somebody's private rooms."

I crossed my arms to stop my shaking body from becoming visible. Jefferson's eyes grew wider as he articulated clearly, "Get me into the vault, and lead me to the hat. If you don't, I'll alert everyone of it's whereabouts. I'll tell Snow what lies below the mausoleum."

............................

"Hurry up. We don't have all day!"

I glanced nervously behind me. Jefferson's eyes bore down onto mine until I looked away. Then, I muttered quietly, "We're almost there..."

My knees felt like they were failing to move as we walked down the path of the cemetery. I honestly didn't know what was worse. Having the whole town know about the vault, or allowing Jefferson to have full access of my mother's things. Either way, it aggravated me to think of the consequences.

Just when I spotted the vault in the distance, I heard a voice shout, "Dani!"

I turned around to see Henry running towards me. I glanced up at Jefferson to see him frown as if he was worried. Why?

"Dani! There you are! David and I have been looking everywhere for you! You just disappeared! And...you're with Jefferson! Where are you guys going?"