Chapter 22

(Daniella's POV, a week after she woke up in the Dark One's castle)

Its been a week since the day I was hit by the poisoned arrow. Since I was feeling much better, mother decided that it was time for us to journey back to our palace. However, she still needed to capture Snow's prince in order to lure the Princess into coming into our kingdom. So, we would make a quick stop at King George's castle before going home. 

Sitting in front of the vanity, I thought about the incident as my mother combed through my hair. "Mama, did the knights find out who fired the arrow?"

As my mother started to braid my hair, she replied, "there's been no news of the identity of the assassin, but don't worry. What you've experienced will never happen again."

"How can you be sure?"

"I am sure."

Even though I was unconvinced, I speak further on the subject. After mother finished braiding my hair, she stood up and said, "the carriage is waiting for us now. We mustn't be late for the Prince's execution if we are to sabotage it."

I nodded and followed mother out of the room. We winded our way down several flights of stairs before we reached the entrance of the castle. Standing in front of our carriage was Rumpelstiltskin's maid, Belle. Although my mother got into the carriage without giving her a second glance, I paused as Belle held out a parcel towards me.

I tilted my head to the side, "what's this?"

Smiling, Belle answered, "you're a strong girl Daniella but I know that your experience with the arrow was traumatic...and hopefully this gift will help you a little."

Taken aback a little by the kindness, I quietly muttered a 'thank you' as I received the gift. Then, I gave Belle a quick hug before climbing into the carriage to meet my mother's questioning gaze. As soon as the carriage started moving to George's castle, mother asked, "what's that, dear?"

I shrugged. "Belle gave it to me..."

"Well that was clear, but what's inside?"

"I don't know." Then, I gently tore away the wrapping to reveal a beautiful book. Mother glanced at the book's title before saying, "oh I've read that when I was younger. Its about a female hero; a heroine...it was a good read except Cora banned it after finding out that the main character was disobedient to her family's wishes."

Mother chuckled when she said this. I looked at her inquiringly and she added, "and if you're wondering, of course you're allowed to read this. It had given me hope when I was a teenager and hopefully, you'll find the story compelling too."

I didn't need to ask further for I knew what my mother's teenage years were like; with Cora as her mother. 

Changing the topic, mother touched my arm gently and asked, "does it still hurt?"

I looked down and prodded the bandaged wound with my right hand. "It's still a little sore but when Belle replaced the gauze this morning, I saw that it had healed up quite a bit."

"That's good. You aren't feeling faint or tired are you?"

"No...I think the poison's effects have vanished completely by now."

Mother frowned and sighed. Then, we let silence overcome us for the next hour until we neared King George's castle. When the carriage slowed down to a stop, I looked out and asked, "can I come out with you? I don't want to be sitting in the carriage for a few hours without having moved my legs."

Mother nodded and let me climb out first. Then, she lead the way and we walked towards the castle courtyard. As we neared the place, I saw that there was a guillotine set up in the middle of the square. The King was sitting on the throne opposite to the guillotine and resting below the blade was the Prince. When I saw that George gave an indication for the blade to be released, I quickly took my mother's hand and looked away. I don't think I could stomach the thud of a decapitated head. However, I heard the sound of splashing water on cobblestone instead. Then, George's voice shouted through the air, "what's the meaning of this?"

Mother gently shook away my hand so I turned back around. Then, she spoke to George as she strutted closer, "sorry to drop in on you."

The King grunted and greeted mother simply, asking, "what do you want?"

"I want the man you pretend is your son, and I'm prepared to pay you any riches Midas promised you in return for him."

Any riches? That must be a lot! Midas's wealth is literally dripping in gold, everything he touches changes into that substance!

George paused and made an indication towards the executioner and the guards. Immediately, they released the Prince from the guillotine and walked him over to where we were standing. George glanced at him and asked my mother, "and what do you plan to do with him?"

"Oh I promise he'll suffer. Far more than some...swift and simple beheading."

"How?"

I grinned a little when mother answered, "by using him to destroy his one true love. By using him to bring an end to Snow White."

..............................

(Daniella's POV, in the Dark Palace)

We got back home before nightfall so after dinner, I went to my mother's chambers to watch her monitor Snow break into King George's castle in hopes of finding the Prince. After finding Accalia, I used magic to take us to the royal wing of the palace. As I was walking through the hall of mirrors, I saw that mother was sitting at her vanity, looking into the mirror that hung above. Accalia instantly stalked to the fireplace to curl up in front of the warmth but I walked towards the vanity instead. 

"Daniella."

"Hey mama. So, has she gotten down to the dungeons yet?"

Smirking, mother replied, "yes, she's down there now." Then, with the wave of a hand towards the mirror, the scene on the surface changed. In George's dungeons, the image of the Prince appeared. He was sitting in a dark cell with his head on his knees.

"Wait, but isn't he below us in the dungeons here?"

"He is, but to Snow he's not."

"Oh, right." I leaned towards the mirror in anticipation.

Soon, the glassy surface showed Snow approaching the Prince's cell. Her eyes widened for a second before she shouted out towards him, "Charming! Charming!"

I watched my mother roll her eyes. Then, she pushed back the chair and patted her lap, inviting me to sit down. I did so, whilst watching Snow break into the cell with ease. After she got inside, she realised that the Prince wasn't actually there. She exclaimed with exasperation, "you're...no. No, oh no...."

Prince Charming started to speak to his princess, "the Queen took me to her palace."

Sobbing, Snow answered, "but I'm rescuing you."

"Snow," the Prince whispered in reply as he reached out his hand.

Snow matched his hand and softly uttered, "is that always going to be our life? Taking turns finding each other?"

"No, we'll be together, I know it. Have faith."

Mother gagged and immediately waved her hand over the mirror. Instead of showing us the pair, only Snow's face appeared in front of us. I got down from mother's lap to let her speak. Laughing, mother taunted, "I just had to stop you. I have no interest in cleaning tongue marks off my mirror."

Snow replied bluntly, "let him go, Regina. Your fight is with me."

"My thoughts exactly....have you heard of a parley? We break off all this messy fighting and have a little talk. Just you and me. Come unarmed."

There was a pause before Snow asked, "where do I meet you?"

Snarling, mother answered, "where it all began."

Then, Snow's face disappeared in a puff of blue smoke. I turned to look at my mother's satisfied expression. "We've got her, Daniella."