Chapter 7

Regina's POV

After shakily putting on my makeup, I begun to pace the room. I felt the Genie's eyes roam across the floor, watching the swishing voluminous movement of my dress in concern but I ignored him. My daughter was supposed to come here to my chambers at any minute but I don't know how she'll respond to me; I don't even know anything about her! Letting out an exasperated breath, I waved my hand over the face on my mirror and it disappeared in a puff of dark blue smoke. I didn't need the Genie overhearing the conversation that I would have.

Now, I began to contemplate my decisions even further. Should I have woken Daniella this morning instead of letting her sleep in? Does she even want to stay here with me? Is she afraid of me?

The latter question worried me. I had already decided to put on softer makeup and a simpler dress but I wasn't sure how Daniella would see me. My hopes are that she hasn't physically seen me murder or kill but what if she has? Ugh, calm yourself down Regina. Your overthinking.

I tried to push these thoughts to the back of my head so I walked over to my vanity and picked up the ring that Daniel had given me. I slipped it on, wishing that he was here to help me be a parent once again to my own child. Seconds after putting the accessory onto my finger, there was a knock on my door. I took a breath and called out, "Come in."

I heard some whispers outside and from the mirror of my vanity, I saw the door open with Daniella coming in by herself. She looked so beautiful, my heart leapt at seeing her just a few feet away from me. Finally, I turned around and said, "Good morning, dear. Did you sleep well?"

Daniella only nodded. Sensing her shy unwillingness to speak, I continued, "You don't have to be afraid...come. Let's talk shall we?"

I saw her nod again and this time, I motioned for her to follow me. I walked over to the couch that sat by the fireplace and invited her to sit down next to me. When she did, there was a slight distance between us. I knew that it would make her uncomfortable to immediately close that gap so I asked, "Did you...know about all this?"

I watched my daughter intently as she muttered, "Well, sort of."

I frowned. "How?"

She looked up at me with large glassy eyes and without answering my question, asked me, "Why did you leave me? Was it Princess Snow White's fault that we were separated?"

I immediately felt fire return to my heart as soon as heard the wretched girl's name. "DON'T mention that girl in front of me without my permission, understood?" I said sternly. I saw Daniella recoil a bit and I sighed. I didn't need her to be afraid of me; we haven't even had a proper conversation yet! Bowing my head a little, I whispered, "Sorry, I shouldn't have burst out at you."

Daniella eyed me warily but I continued, "But yes, it was her fault. I'm going to tell you a story. You mustn't repeat this to anyone without my permission alright? You can promise me that...right?"

My daughter nodded in understanding and waited for me to tell her the story. Fearing that I would become too emotional, I twisted the ring around my finger and hoped that Daniel would help me say the right thing. Hesitantly, I began. "Well, when I was 18 years old, I met Daniel. He was the stable boy of my family estate and...I fell in love with him."

I watched Daniella's eyes grow round. She quietly whispered, "Was I named after him?"

I nodded with a smile on my face. "Yes, you were. Anyway, we loved each other but I knew that my mother would be against our relationship as he was of lesser class than me. One day whilst I was meeting him under my favourite apple tree, a runaway horse darted down the hill. Someone was on the horse and she was screaming for help. I should have never helped her...but my first instinct at the time was to jump onto Rocinante and go after the struggling rider. I did, and I saved the girl...but at a cost."