Chapter 18

(Daniella's POV)

I pushed back the large leaves of our hideaway spot to reveal the blind witch's candy house. It stood magnificently amongst the trees, with large pieces of colourful candy plastered all over it's gingerbread walls. The place was practically leaking with magic and temptation but I could tell that there was dark magic involved with the creation of such a false delight. 

I crept towards an open window, seeing that it was slightly ajar. "In here! We'll fit through here; I hope..."

Hansel and Gretel walked towards where I was standing, right next to a pane of sugary looking glass. I was about to push up the window to climb in when Gretel said softly, "Wait, can't you use magic to take us into the house? You have magic right? Why do we have to climb in?"

I turned my head around and replied, "I'm afraid my magic will be detected. A skilled witch should be able to sense the approaching presence of magic. I'm not sure about the blind witch's abilities but she made this enchanted house so I'm not taking any chances."

Gretel nodded then I climbed up through the window. I pushed myself into the house and after I set foot inside, I helped Gretel and Hansel come in as well. 

The house was dark but warmly lit by a fire in the living room. The interior of the house was made with gingerbread slabs and everywhere I looked, I saw pieces of candy as decoration. There even was a chandelier made of sweets, hanging above a long table ladled with cakes. 

Hansel nudged me and asked, "Can you be sure she's sleeping?"

To our relief, there was a gentle snore by the fireside and as we walked cautiously closer, we saw that on top of a rocking chair, the blind witch was fast asleep. 

"She's sleeping...and remember what my mother said, don't eat anything. Not even a lick."

Hansel and Gretel nodded and I gave them an indication to start our search for the satchel. I walked towards the witch's kitchen and immediately cringed at the sharp knives that stood propped on a block. Hopefully this will go well, if not, I'll feel these against my skin.

Shuddering, I was about to open the pantry door when Gretel harshly whispered somewhere behind me, "There! There's the satchel!"

I whipped my head around and saw her cautiously approach the fireplace. As I walked towards the living room, I saw Gretel hold her breath and stick her tongue out whilst stretching her hand towards the ledge above the burning flames. She glanced briefly at the sleeping witch before quickly closing her hands around the satchel. I grinned with relief and she stalked confidently towards me with a large smile on her face. She extended her arm and held out the satchel but before I caught it into my hands, Hansel suddenly retracted her arm. Her eyes widened and I saw her quickly fly towards the dining table, which was stacked with sweets and cupcakes. I almost cried out as I saw Hansel take a bite out of a blue cupcake which he held in his small hands.

"What are you doing?!!" I whispered rather loudly. Gretel looked nervously at me and swiped the cupcake out of her brothers hands. Right after this, there was a groan that came from the living room. 

We all looked reluctantly at the fireplace and realised for the first time that there were many human bones stacked in front of the blazing fire. To our horror, the blind witch's tangled nest of white hair shook and began to move. Then, her pale face turned slowly around to look at us. I barely suppressed a scream for the witch's eyes were milky white in colour, as if someone had gorged out her pupils. I backed away even though I was several metres away from her.

"Run!"

Just when we got to the doors, they automatically bolted. Shaking, I ran towards the windows but they also closed before I reached them.