Chapter 8

Daniella's POV

There was a soft knock on the door. The Queen and I both watched as it opened slowly to reveal a short old man dressed in black. In fact, I think he's just a little taller than me. His face was adorned with a gentle crinkled smile as he nodded his head towards me and asked, "Is this Daniella?"

The Queen walked over to us and said to me, "Daniella, this is your grandfather, Henry."

I smiled to Henry as he came over and embraced me in a hug. "You probably don't remember me but I recognise that grin of yours anywhere. You had the same smile when you were just a little babe in my arms."

"Really?"

"Yes. Now, I hope you've found this castle to your liking. I know its awfully cool in here at times but that's just your mother," Grandfather winked to me when he said this. At the corner of my eye, I saw the Queen roll her eyes and exclaim, "Alright, I'll give you two some time to get to know each other...or gossip about me"

Henry chuckled and replied, "We won't gossip about you. Anyway, we'll go to the library to talk. Afterall, Daniella needs to know her way around this palace."

The Queen nodded as Grandfather and I walked out of her chambers. Once we were passing through the hall of mirrors, I asked him, "Why are there so many mirrors here?"

"Well, they're your mother's thing I guess. Mirrors are useful objects when it comes to magic...but you don't need to worry about that."

"When I was at the village market a few days ago, I overheard a woman named Wilma talk about me. I couldn't see who she was whispering to but she seemed to be doing so through some sort of object. Was it a mirror?"

Henry gasped silently and nodded. "Clever girl. Yes. It was. Actually, can you guess who she was talking to?"

The answer was too obvious. "The Queen?"

"Your mother really cares about you, Daniella. The impact of the lost of her daughter has never left her. She's asked your paternal grandmother to look out for girls who could have been you."

"So Wilma is my grandmother?! She never said anything about that."

"Well, she was instructed by your mother to not interfere. Regina wants to come to you herself. I'm sure you remember that day at the village right? The only reason why we came was because Wilma told your mother that she has seen you, and is positive that you are the princess."

"So I've been watched and haven't even realised it."

Grandfather patted me on the back and said, "Yes you have. But now, you're back home aren't you?"

I was too engrossed in our conversation to realise that we've come out of the hall of mirrors and into a corridor of dark but elaborately decorated rooms. Henry pointed ahead, "The library is just through here, and up a flight of stairs."

Soon enough, we arrived at a pair of stairs that wound up around the sides and met together at the top. As we walked up, we faced open doors to reveal a large room, filled with shelves that supported many books of all sizes. "And here we are, the library."

Grandfather led me into the maze of books and we approached a cozy area where several plush couches and armchairs stood next to an unlit fireplace.

"Oooh, its quite chilly. Winter always comes early to the palace," Henry commented.

"I think I can fix that..." I began as I walked to the fireplace. I slowly stretched out my hand and watched as a ball of flames formed on my palm. Then, I threw it into the fireplace, watching the wood come ablaze as it sizzled and cracked.