Chapter 50

(Daniella's POV)

The weekend came quickly and to my surprise, Henry had already left the house to see Emma when I woke up on the Saturday morning. After the encounter with Jefferson, Henry had barely spoken to me. I asked him several times if it was because of the things that the Hatter said about me. However, he didn't reply. He walked past me each time I brought up the subject. 

The house now seemed quiet save for the rustle of trees and the chirp of bird outside. I came downstairs to find Mama staring at something in her hands. When I walked closer, she looked up and gave me a smile. "You've slept in, sleepy head."

"What time is it?"

"Almost ten." She got up from the table, leaving an apple on the surface. "I'll make you some pancakes for breakfast. Just wait at the table."

I nodded and sat down. The apple on the tabletop looked bruised and rotten. I rolled it towards me and examined it. What's so special about this apple?

Soon, mother came back with a plate of pancakes in her hand. She took the rotten apple from me and set down the plate.

"Mama, why were you looking at this?"

Mother sat down as I started eating. Then, she replied, "It's from my tree."

"Your tree as in, the apple tree from home?"

Quietly, she said, "Yes. It's dying....a sign that the curse is weakening."

I stopped eating and put down the cutlery. "Daniella, what's wrong? Do you remember what I said? I won't let anyone harm you if the curse breaks. If the worst comes, we can go into my vault and find a way to go back to the Enchanted Forest."

Except, the broken curse would mean that I die before any of that could happen. Should I tell mother? Or should I....

"I'm going to see Rumple after you're done with breakfast."

I pushed the plate away, "I'm done."

"Daniella...you've barely had a bite!"

"I'm not hungry."

"Daniella...." Mother gave me a stern look as she pushed the plate back in my direction. 

I slumped a little. "Fine." After hastily finishing one pancake, I put down the fork and looked hopefully at my mother. She sighed and took away my plate. Then, she said, "Meet me in front of the car in five minutes."

When we arrived at Rumple's shop, Mama strode over to the counter as the Imp's silky voice echoed, "Your Majesty, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

Leaning over the countertop, she held up the rotten apple and answered simply, "My tree is dying. Why?"

"Perhaps it's the fertilizer."

I stepped closer to Mama as she bit back, "You think this is funny. Well, I'll tell you what I think. I think it's a sign of the curse weakening, because of Emma. But do you care? No. You're content to just sit back and do...whatever it is you're doing, while all my hard work burns."

"Nah, that's not all now, is it? Come on, might as well get everything off your chest." 

Mother scoffed and put her hands on my shoulders. "I don't know what you're talking about."

The Imp grinned and answered, "Henry. Miss Swan wants him."

"I am well aware of that. She'll have that boy over my dead body."

"The curse was supposed to take away Snow White's happiness. Perhaps you giving up Henry is just the price to keep the curse unbroken."

"I think I'd rather just get rid of her."