Chapter 9

Regina's POV

I paced my chambers, fuming at the villagers' loyalty to Snow White. Its been two weeks since Daniella settled in and I had decided to go out to hunt for Snow again. I didn't visit Daniella's village however for I didn't want to receive any more odd stares after my unexpected search for Daniella instead of Snow.

"Your majesty...."

"QUIET!" I yelled, silencing the blue face that appeared in my favourite mirror. Without looking at the genie, I waved my hand and felt his presence disappear. Why is it that the peasants still want Snow White to be their Queen?! She's done nothing for the people! Oh, I'm going to make sure that Daniella succeeds my throne in the future.

I was distracted from my thoughts by the all-too-familiar giggle of the Dark One.

"Well, it seems you've taken to power quite well. It gives your cheeks a nice rosy colour."

I inhaled and rolled my eyes at Rumple. "I don't understand them. I offer those peasants a fortune, and they still protect Snow White! Why are they loyal to her and not me? I am their Queen!"

Rumple simply giggled and replied, "You did just slaughter an entire village. Maybe that's why they call you the "Evil Queen.""

"But I am not, evil. They call me that because of her. She's the evil one."

"They're her people, dearie. You're going to have to be content with the fear. They'll never love you."

Those last words hit me hard. Inside, I felt my heart burst in both sadness and anger. However, I couldn't show this weakness in front of my former teacher. I glared at Rumple until he decided to speak. "Well, of course...you do have a new addition to the family don't you?"

"What?"

Rumple walked over to me and teased, "Oh, so you think I wouldn't have noticed that you've found your daughter..."

I narrowed my eyes. "And that, has nothing to do with you."

Rumple grinned maliciously and replied, "Perhaps not but right now, it would interest you, wouldn't it...that Daniella has heard every word we just said."

Before I could answer, Rumple flicked his hands and my chamber doors opened to reveal my daughter with a slightly flabbergasted look on her face. My eyes briefly swept over Rumple's smug face before I spoke, "Daniella, I thought you were with your tutor."

"I've finished all my studies for the day and I thought that you may have wanted to see me..."

Whilst I was nodding, Rumple already started to speak, "Ah, the Princess. How do you do? I don't believe you have met me before have you?"

There was a silence before Daniella gasped and exclaimed, "You're the Dark One aren't you?"

This time, I interfered before Rumple could say anything. "Yes he is. And, he was just going to help me with something."

Daniella looked at me as if she knew better. "Does this something relate to Snow?"

To my surprise, a thought suddenly sparked in my mind. Even though I should have answered Daniella's question, I felt my mouth open faster than I could control. I asked Rumple, "Teach me my mother's shape shifting spell. Allow me to hide." I watched the Dark One's face consider for a moment. That's when it hit me. Of course. "What's the price?"

Rumple giggled again in that weird laugh of his as he replied, "It's just a boring matter of state. I need you to cut off all trade with King George's realm."