Chapter 6

Daniella watched the Queen's face become streaked with tears that ran black, due to dark eye makeup. No. It wasn't the Queen. It was Daniella's mother. Slowly, Regina's hands raised up and cupped her daughter's own teary face. Regina then whispered in a soft voice full of staggering tears, "My little firefly, I've found you. Your mama's got you now. I promise, I'll never ever leave you again. I swear. This time, no one can ever take you away from me."

Daniella sniffed but couldn't manage to speak as she was still shocked from seeing the 'Evil' Queen, kneeling in front of her, with tears streaming from her eyes. Instead, the young girl shivered and swallowed as her mother embraced her in a tight hug. Daniella initially felt uncomfortable but slowly, she melted into the warmth of Regina's body. As she sniffed again, she could smell the sweet, sharp perfume of crisp autumn apples. Frowning her face, Daniella thought of where she had smelt this scent before...it was too familiar. Finally, Daniella realised....the scent came from her own subconscious memory. Its from my past, from when I was still in the arms of my mother as a child.

The embrace lasted for a long time since neither daughter nor mother wanted to let go. However, Regina made the first move and gently tugged away from her daughter. She quickly undid the clasp of her own cloak and put it around Daniella, watching as the young girl slowly ceased her shivering. Regina had nearly forgot about the couple who stood rooted on their spot, confused about the whole ordeal as they could only see Regina's back. However, as soon as the woman saw Regina's figure without the cloak, she gasped and tugged at her partner to see if he had the same suspicions as her. Their doubts were soon confirmed as Regina cleared her throat and spoke in the notorious voice that everyone in the kingdom recognised all too well.

"Go, and do not speak of this when you arrive back into the village; have you understood?"

In a shaky voice, a male voice answered, "Yes, Your Majesty."

Then, almost immediately Daniella and Regina heard the quick pattering of footsteps, running away from the spot. When neither of them heard the running anymore, Daniella decided to speak up. In a wavering voice, she looked into her mother's red puffy eyes and flatly stated, "You're the Queen."

There was a moment of silence before Regina answered in slightly guilty tone, contrasting the one she used to speak to the couple, "I am."

Daniella looked down. She had so many questions but didn't know where to start. The silence was awkward for the pair but Regina lifted up Daniella's head and whispered. "Let's go home first, you're tired...we can talk in the morning."

Daniella was filled with many thoughts; she was about to return home after so many years but her mother is royalty! And not just that, she's the Evil Queen! Teagan, Snow and everyone else have said so many things about what the Queen could do...will I be safe? What if I'm going to a worse place than Wonderland? That place was so horrible!

However, Daniella was too tired to act according to her doubtful thoughts. She let Regina take her hand as they both stood up and started walking. After a few minutes, they both approached a chestnut coloured horse, grazing on a small patch of grass. "Daniella, this is Rocinante. She was a present from my father when I was around the same age as you. You don't need to be afraid of her, she's very gentle." Regina explained.

Daniella only nodded and before she knew it, she was hoisted up onto the horse's back. In surprise, she flared her legs a little but Regina spoke, "don't worry, you'll get used to being on horseback. You can lean on me as we ride." With that, Regina hopped onto Rocinante's back and tugged at the reins. At the gentle clop of hooves and the bounce of the horse itself, Daniella closed her eyes. The midnight breeze blew onto mother and daughter as they approached the road that connected directly to the palace. The last thing that Daniella heard before she slipped into slumber was a deep muffled sound of a man against the clink of armour, shouting out in surprise, "Your Majesty!?"