Chapter 45

(Daniella's POV)

I had hoped to avoid the topic for as long as I could, but Henry eventually brought it up. He had been avoiding mother and I ever since he ran away and came back...so why did he have to mention school at the dinner table?!

Whilst there was a little bit of excitement in me, I internally groaned at the idea of starting school at Storybrooke. Much to my annoyance, mother managed to enrol me and take of matters over a single phone call. And now it's a Monday morning...

When the alarm rang, I immediately snoozed it and pulled the covers back over my head. However, mother knocked on the door moments later. She entered before I could even turn around.

"Wake up, firefly. It's time for your first day of school at Storybrooke."

I heard Mama shuffle over to my bed. She rubbed my back as I slowly turned around and opened one eye. Then, I mumbled, "I don't want to go. I won't know anyone and-"

"I've told Henry to stick with you. Besides, you're both in the same class."

Same class? "But that means that Snow is my teacher right?"

Mother gave me a small smile and whispered, "It'll only be for the rest of this year, alright? Unfortunately, I cannot request for you to be put into another class, as you need to catch up on knowledge taught in this land."

I sat up and asked, "Will it be hard?"

"What, dear?"

"What subjects do they teach here?"

"Oh, it's very similar to the Enchanted Forest...you'll see."

I sighed and slipped out of bed, into the cold air.

...........................

I was sandwiched between Henry and our mother as we walked through the school grounds. I remained silent as I noted a familiar face here and there. Holding my breath, I tried to keep my eyes ahead of me for I had just spotted Leyton and his gang at the corner of my eyes. 

"Yeah, they're pretty messed up. It's best if you would stay away from them," Henry whispered in my ear. I turned around and replied softly, "Believe me, I know."

"You do? Who were they back in the-"

"Henry!"

We both looked up at mother's face which sported a stern expression. Then, she lowered her voice and spoke, "Do you remember what I told you before we left? You are not to mention anything from the book."

Henry stubbornly replied, "But the stuff in the book is real!"

Mother glanced around and bent down to whisper, "And will anyone believe you? Look, you've been complaining to me that no one wants to play with you. If you stop talking about your book, things will change. See, I'm helping you."

"No you're not."

I sucked in a breath and cast my eyes to the ground as we kept walking. The silence was interrupted by a voice that was too familiar to my ears. "Good morning, Madam Mayor!"

Under her breath, my mother mumbled, "Must she always be so shrill..."

As Snow approached us, Henry's face lit up in a wide smile. The princess was the first to speak, "Daniella! I'm so glad that you're awake again. Welcome back."

Back? I frowned but before Snow could make out the meaning of my expression, my mother cut in. "Ms Blanchard, I'm sure that you'll accommodate for Daniella. She's got some catching up to do, due to her coma condition."