Chapter 71

(Regina's POV)

I reappeared in my vault breathing heavily. How had I not been able to take his heart? Hadn't I wanted to do it for so long? Why?!

I screamed angrily at no one but myself. My magic was pulsing dangerously through my veins. When I stalked to my mirror and glanced at my reflection, I glared at myself in contempt. I had not only made a fool of myself in front of those peasants but also him and his god-damned family. I created a fireball and threw it at the mirror, watching as the flames bounced off the clear surface. I did it again and again in irritation, grunting as the flames disappeared into thin air. My magic is more powerful than that man!

I paused to pant in anger. Then, I swiped my hand through the air, bringing shards of the mirror to rain down before my feet. I sat down on top of one of the trunks containing the ingredients of my potions. I refused to let tears fall but as my brain cleared, I remembered Daniella. I had left her at the school. Slapping my hand over my forehead in annoyance, more or less at myself, I pondered over what I should do next.

If I were to return so soon, I'd put myself back into hot water. If I waited longer, I feared that someone will hurt my darling girl. Sighing, I felt around for my phone. My hand still shook as I fished it out of my pocket and started dialling the number of the school office.

I waited whilst biting my lip. The whole school would have no doubt been informed of what had happened at the science fair this afternoon. When the receptionist picked up, I could tell by her voice that she was afraid of me. That made me smirk. At least, I still possess some sort of authority around this town.

"I'm calling to make sure that none of the events that have occurred this afternoon, have affected my daughter's studies."

The other end of the phone responded, "Of course not, Your Majesty. However, I'm afraid your daughter was feeling unwell to attend class. She's been taken to a room where she could be alone in the library."

I frowned. "Is she alright?"

There was a short silence. Then, the voice replied, "We believe that she desired to be alone. She wasn't showing any signs of visible crying but she wasn't feeling comfortable being around everyone. We've asked her if she wanted to see a school psychologist to talk but she denied."

My heart panged with guilt for abandoning my little firefly. "I'm coming now to pick her up from school."

"Of course. Could you pass by reception to sign her out after you've picked Daniella up?"

"Yes. I will see you soon."

I then hung up on the receptionist. After putting my phone away, I stood up and waved my hand over the broken shards of mirror on the floor. Once it had repaired itself onto the silver frame on the wall, I used magic to fix my makeup and hair. Then, I decided to not spend one more moment before my pathetic image.

Emotion takes a toil on magic so I mentally cursed myself for coming here via teleportation. Longer distances generally meant that I had to concentrate more to reach the desired destination. When I arrived at the school gates, I rubbed my head for I felt a small headache pound against my skull as if it was punishing me for my use of magic.

Then, I immediately made my way to the library. Upon seeing me, the librarian got up from her desk and took me to my daughter. She left me alone outside the closed door. In the little glass panel on the wall, I peeked in and saw Daniella curled up on a beanbag in the corner of the room. I knocked and entered, giving her a small smile.

She shifted to a sitting position and said quietly, "Why did you leave?"

I sighed and sat down next to her. Putting my arms around her tiny frame, I replied, "I'm sorry my little firefly."