Chapter 81

(Daniella's POV)

I pressed my ear against the lacquered wood and listened intently as my gut feeling was telling me that the discussion on the other side of the door was about mother. It was Snow's voice that my ears immediately picked up upon. "Emma, you can't make assumptions. I've learnt over the years that Regina disappears from time to time without a single explanation. And that's normal-"

"Yeah, because she's off killing people."

Another voice stepped in, however I don't believe I've heard it before. "I'm positive that the killings were from the Queen of Hearts. She must have escaped from Wonderland. I was there just a few days ago; the rebellion has risen tremendously."

"But I don't think Cora's someone to run away from a fight, not when she's so hungry for power." Emma's voice said convinced.

"With all due respect, your highness, but perhaps something happened. Her presence would surely be noted, which means that she had left Wonderland."

Emma replied, "So you don't think it's Regina?" Snow added quickly, "We'll have to question her when she gets back, but I think Anastasia is right, it couldn't have been Regina. She has no motive to kill right now, especially as her fiance is back. Besides, I doubt she'd want to disappoint Henry or Daniella."

There was a moment of silence before Emma said, "But Daniella was there, when her mother killed your people, right Mary Margaret?"

I held my breath as Snow answered, "No I don't think Daniella was, nor would she be happy to watch people die. The incidents in Storybrooke were just incidents. I knew her before she was reunited with Regina. She was a shy girl. Certainly not someone you'd imagine to be the daughter of the Evil Queen."

I frowned but continued to listen to their conversation. I wonder who Anastasia is, but I guessed that she was probably someone notable from Wonderland. 

Suddenly, I heard footsteps from the corridor so I jumped up from my crouched position and  rushed over to a large stuffed bear, hoping that his gigantic size would cover me up entirely. I peeked between the bear's outstretched hand and saw Henry walking with David. There were two knights with them, but from their uniform, I could tell that they weren't my mother's men. When they had entered the room, I went over to investigate and was slightly disappointed to see that the door was slightly ajar. I hid behind the gap and listened to their conversation. It was David's voice that I first picked up. "These are Prince Phillip's men. They tell us that the Wicked Witch had come to threaten their monarchs."

I held my hand over my mouth. According to what mother said yesterday, the witch had left the palace by the time she got there...so what could the witch possibly want?

The anonymous voice replied, "Well, what did the witch say to them?"

There was a brief silence. Then, one of the guards replied in a gruff voice, "They've been reminded of the fact that should they not surrender 'her', she'll take their child."

Emma pointed out, "Her? Who were they referring to?"

I too, anticipated the answer. I peeked in the gap and saw an unwilling expression on the guards' faces. Then, one of them said quickly, "The Evil Queen." I stepped back in horror. Why in the heavens would the witch want my mother? Is that why she had disappeared? Unable to withstand the tension in the air, I swallowed and plastered a brave look on my face. When I pushed open the door, everyone's jaw seemed to have dropped. However, I couldn't help but feel as if Anastasia, or the woman dressed in complete white, was the one the least surprised. As I scanned them, Snow exclaimed, "Daniella! Have you been there, listening the whole time?"