Chapter 29 - X-ray's Lucky Day

Nikki POV

Once again, I was woken up by the bell going off telling us to get up. I groaned as I sat up and I was pretty sure that I looked like something across between a racoon and the grudge - not a sight you want to see at 4:00am. I felt like my whole body was being dragged down by something but I couldn't exactly pinpoint what it was. Oh, yeah. The fact that I felt like absolute shit. I hate mornings.

"Hey." Richie said as she was about to walk out of the tent with Squid.

I grunted in response. I don't know how she can get up at this time and not be fazed by the fact that she has to go and dig for god knows how long.

"Looks like someones not a morning person." Ziggy said as he walked up behind me and Richie and Squid walked out of the tent.

"And you're only finding that out now?" I retorted as I walked towards my bag and pulled out a t-shirt, a wipe (for my face), a bobble, my toothbrush and a pair of socks. "Be out in a minute." I said as I began to wipe my face with the wipe, then going on to get changed and brush my teeth.

Once I had gotten out of the tent I daudled over to the shovel library thing, got my shovel, then grabbed a honey tortilla. Honey tortillas weren't the nicest of breakfasts; it was better than nothing. I was starving and I didn't want to have to wait until the truck came with food to finally have something to eat.

Mr. Sir led us to where our unit was meant to be digging - giving each tent a different spot - and everyone began experiencing the hell that was digging. I have to admit though, it wasn't as bad as I could be. I could be out here digging all by myself. Now, that would be bad. I would probably end up going insane or something!

I decided to walk with X-ray, Armpit, Magnet and Ziggy as I didn't want to end up third-wheeling. I looked towards Squid and Richie. Squid had his bandana on and his cap over the top - as usual - and he was walking with his shovel across his shoulders. Richie was stood beside him, her hair tied up in a ponytail with a few strands falling to the side of her face.

 Ziggy pulled me into a hug after Mr. Sir left us to our digging, then we walked to where we were told to dig.

-----------A few hours later----------

"My hands hurt." Stanley complained. As much as Stanley annoyed me, I had to agree with him. But did he really have to complain about it every two minutes?

"I'm thirsty." Stanley complained again. I looked over to Richie and she looked like she was gonna blow any second. She looked back at me; you could see how annoyed she was in her eyes. She looked more annoyed than a someone who has a little kid sitting behind them on an airplane and the little kid either won't stop crying or won't stop kicking their seat.

"It's too hot!"

"WE KNOW! OKAY! WE KNOW YOU'RE THIRSTY! WE KNOW YOUR HANDS HURT! NEWSFLASH, OUR HANDS HURT LIKE A BITCH TOO, BUT NOBODY ELSE IS COMPLAINING! AND, WE KNOW ITS TOO FUCKING HOT! SO WHY DON'T YOU JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP AND DIG INSTEAD OF BEING THE ANNOYING LITTLE SHIT THAT YOU ARE!" Richie said as she threw her shovel to the bottom of her hole and the water truck came. Thanks, Richie. He was really starting to piss me off. Everyone looked at Richie in shock, all except me. I know exactly what she's like! If someone annoys her too much, she's going to flip. Or punch them. One way or another, it's entertaining. (Most people that annoy Richie, annoy me too.)

"Wow, Python!" Magnet said. "Looks like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed,"

"He was annoying me, and I could see that he was annoying you too. Especially Nikki. Don't even try to deny it!" I looked back at Stanley and he had a hurt expression on his face - well he shouldn't have been annoying her! Everyone knows how easy it is to annoy me or Richie and being in the hot sun, our hands blistering with every centimeter we dug and almost being out of water didn't exactly help the situation.

About 10 minutes later, the water truck pulled up and, once again, Richie stood in front of Squid, and I stood in front of Ziggy.

"Hey, Mr. P! Where's your-" He scowled at me before I could finish that sentence. I think everyone knew what I was going to say because this was now a daily thing. Shaking my head, I put my hands up in defence and Mr. Pendanski finished filling Richie's canteen.

"Looks like Python's not the only one that got up on the wrong side of the bed. Jeez, if looks could kill!" I said to Ziggy as I passed Mr. Pendanski my canteen and he filled it to the top. He passed me my canteen and I daudled towards my 2.5 foot hole. My hands stung as I picked up my shovel, once again, and continued to dig my hole.

----------30 Minutes later----------

I looked up and grabbed my canteen in order to get a drink. My throat was burning off of how thirsty I was, and I only had a drink about 10 minutes ago! Oh well. Fuck it. I'm thirsty.

"What ya got there, Caveman?" I heard X-ray ask as he expeditiously jumped out of his almost finished hole and walked over to see what Stanley had found. Curious, I walked over to Stanley's hole and I instantly knew what he had found was.

"Gimme that." Squid said as he snatched the golden bullet-shaped tube from Stanley.

 "It looks like a shotgun shell or somethin'" X-ray said 

"Nah, thats not a shotgun shell." Squid informed.

"Thats not a shotgun shell." Zigzag said at the same time.

"Yeah, nah that's not a shotgun shell." Squid passed the golden tube back to Stanley but I snatched it from Stanley's grasp in order to get a better look.

"Hey, Richie. C'mere." I motioned her towards me with my hand. She looked at the tube in realization. We couldn't help but laugh! How could they have been so stupid?

"What you guys laughing at?" Armpit asked, curious.

"It's a fucking lipstick!" Richie said after she realized that I wouldn't be able to say anything without laughing agian.

"I told you it wasn't a shotgun shell!" Squid added.

"Hey, it says something." Stanley rubbed the dust off with his thumb to find that he lipstick tube had 'KB' in a heart ingraved on it. "KB"

Ziggy took the lipstick tube and examined it. "Yeah, thats Keith Barren."

"Who's that?" I asked in confusion.

"He was in my maths class." Ziggy looked up at me and squinted as everyone laughed. Ziggy hesitantly handed the golden tube beck to Stanley.

"Well, maybe I can go show it to mom, get the rest of the day off." X-ray said as he attempted to take the tube out of Stanley's dust-covered hands.

Stanley pulled away. "No, man. Your holes already dug!" Stanley  protested.

"Yeah, so?" X-ray retorted.

"M-maybe, you can give it to him in the morning. Get the whole day off." Stanley said as he handed the golden tube back to X-ray.

"Yeah, pretty smart, Caveman." X-ray took the tube, put it in his pocket and walked back to his hole to continue digging. As much as I loathed Stanley, I have to admit, X shouldn't have took the lipstick tube away from Stanley. Yeah, he had been here the longest, but Stanley was the one who found it so Stanley should get the day off. Not X-ray.