Chapter 9

SEVERIDES POV

I run into the ER and go to the desk.

"Where is She!" I ask the desk lady worried.

"Who are you looking for sir. Is everything alright?"

"Sorry. It's My girlfriend Evelyn, she got into a car accident....shes pregnant" I say in almost a whisper.

"Oh yes the pregnant girl nobody bothered to find out that she's pregnant some people just don't take their job seriously"

"What room?"

"2nd floor room.." she searches through her paper work. "...52W"

"Ok thanks"

"Hey you look familiar have we met"

"Probably seen me here before either from an unjury or because I'm a fireman I'm here a lot actually"

"Oh yes your the one who pulled that boy from the school fire and came to see him I remeber"

I smile. "Yeah"

I take the stairs up to the 2nd floor. I walk down the surprisingly wide hallway and see her room and it's the room next to the nurses station,her room has a glass window so assuming she's there I look...but she's not there.

Her bed is there. Or a bed is there. I ask the nurse at the desk

"Hi where's Evelyn Richardson isn't she supposed to be in this room" I point behind me.

"Oh let me check I believe I saw them wheeling a girl out of there about 5 minutes ago" she types. "Yes ms. Richardson is in surgery she'll be out soon" my heart drops. I just barely choke out "ok" it comes out dry and exhausted though.

After I calm down a little I ask her "Do you know why she's in surgery?"

"Something about her ribs I believe"

"Oh." I put my Hand over my eyes and let it fall. Then rubbing my temples.

"Sir are you okay"

"Uh yeah, (I sigh)the baby will live right"

"Most likely. Don't worry to I'm sure your baby will be alright" she smiles sweetly then goes back to her typing.

"Ok Thanks"

"I hope they are ok" she says sweetly.

"Thanks. I half smile.

I sit down.

A few minutes later the desk lady says "severide..shes over there"

I get up so quickly the chair pushes back.

"Ev!" I call. No answer.

Then I notice she's asleep.

I walk over to her "Hi doctor,I'm her boyfriend is she okay?"

"Yes. The surgery went well. We also did an ultrasound,The baby is ok too just bounced around a little. she's too early in the pregnancy to hurt a baby she's Not even 2 months along. More Like 1 maybe"

"Ok doctor thank you. When will she wake up?"

"Give her an hour"

"Ok"

I sit in the room waiting for her to wake up. Not sure if she will. Just like yesterday she waited for me to wake up. Not sure if I ever would. I now understand her level of worry that day.

I hold her hand. Until I fall asleep.