Preparations - Tam's POV

I grunted in annoyance, leaning on the trunk of a huge tree.

The girls (Biana, Sophie, Marella included) were all fighting over the existence of Sophie's Winnowing Gala. Biana was arguing that Sophie needed it ASAP, Marella was arguing that Sophie should at least wait but get hers soon enough, and Sophie was arguing that Winnowing Galas were dumb and didn't need to exist.

And of course, they were arguing in the possibly most agitating way possible. They were yelling. And running around, chasing each other or running away from each other. For example, Sophie was running away from Biana, who was running away from Marella. It was loud, sort of annoying, and it was made a huge deal, even though it really wasn't. 

Kind of like Keefe, Fitz, and Sophie's little love triangle.

"Sophie wants her Winnowing Gala!" Biana was hollering, running after Sophie. "No, I do NOT!" Sophie yelled, running away from Biana. I had to let out a small chuckle at this. I leaned against a tree, arms crossed. Keefe snorted behind me. "Enjoying the view?" he smirked, his question obviously pointed at the girls. I turned and growled at him. "Very subtle, Mr. Sencen." I said, gritting my teeth. He flipped his hair dramatically. "Hey, now. No need to get snappy," he said. I had to restrain myself from slapping the smirk off his face.

I scoffed. "Sure, Mr. Good 'ole Vain. I don't have time for this kind of thing anymore." I said, glaring at him. Keefe's eyebrows shot up suddenly. "So you're just saying that you once did have time for crushes before?" he said. The amount of unnecessary emphasis in his voice was just irritating. "Shut up, Sencen." I ordered. Just then, Biana and Sophie rushed past me, nearly toppling me over with a huge gust of wind. "Watch it!" I snapped. They skidded to a stop. "Oh, hey, Keefie!" Biana said, pecking his cheek. Ouch. That hurt my heart, but Keefie? Really? I thought. I winced slightly. Nobody noticed, though. But maybe Sophie did, by the way she was staring at me.

I closed my eyes, breathing in deeply. I felt the cooped up shadows of the place call to me, shadows from under the shade of trees, rocks, anything. With my ability, this feeling happened at any moment. I took a while to exhale, but a small feeling like someone was behind me tugged at me. I reopened my eyes, and everything clicked. "Hey, Sophie?" I said. She tilted her head. 

"What?" 

"Uh, Biana's... uh, she's behind you." I flicked my wrist and shadows erupted, engulfing the air around me until it took a form of a crouched figure. "Biana's right there." I pointed to the figure, which was slouched in defeat.

"Fine, you caught me..." she said, reappearing. Sophie shot me a thankful glance. "Now, I said, NO WINNOWING GALA!!" she yelled, running away. Biana shook her head in disbelief. "This girl!" she huffed. "Biana, a question." I said, mustering up enough courage to actually talk to her properly. "Yeah?" she asked, her teal eyes shining in the sun. It took me a while to properly formulate words, since my mouth had suddenly turned dry. "I, uh, have a question. Why are you suddenly pushing Sophie to get her own gala in such a short notice?" I asked. She grinned and flicked her long, brown hair behind her ear. "Because she deserves one, and I feel like it. But for real, if she really doesn't want a gala, then I'm gonna stop pushing it." she said solemnly.

A huge smile appeared on her face suddenly. "But since she hasn't gotten too mad at me yet, I'm still gonna push my luck." she said.

Then she ran around a few times before disappearing out of sight.

Keefe chuckled. "She's getting a gala. For sure. Biana's that stubborn!" he said, smiling. I tried to smile. "Can tell." I said. "By the way, who were your top 5 in your matchmakers scroll? You never told us." he asked, looking at me. I rolled my eyes. "And if I never told anyone, why would I tell you, of all people?" I said, glaring at him. "Also, what's up with this 'zero subtlety' thing you got going on here?" I asked, eyeing him up and down.