All That Mattered - Keefe's POV

I smiled.

I saw Sophie's face.

It was brighter and more kind than it had ever looked in her whole entire time I had known her. Not even the time when Fitz or me were trying to get to her. She looked so happy. So happy with Tam. Yeah. Not Bangs Boy. I learned to respect him slowly. Although I knew I would never admit it, he was pretty impressive. He had gotten Sophie's feelings, which was harder than it seemed. So much harder. There was so much pain. So much. So much happiness that we both knew would never last. But she finally found something to keep her happy. And that was all that mattered.

I saw Sophie walking towards me and I struggled to put on my trademark smirk. "Hey, Foster. What's up?" I asked. She smiled, a smile that made me feel warm inside.

"Oh, nothing really. You just really looked deep in thought, that I just wanted to check up on you. You okay, Keefe?" she asked, her face putting on a more concerned look. Her head tilted and her eyebrows were raised slightly. I tried not to sigh. "Of course, Foster. Why wouldn't I be? My hair's fine, my face is fine, literally everything's good. Alright? So don't worry about me. I'd appreciate it if you didn't worry about me." I said, my smirk disappearing. I then immediately knew that I had said too much. Seriously, Keefe?! You already disappointed your father. What more could you do to mess up? I thought. Lines of worry radiated off of her.

Sophie put her arm on my shoulder. "Keefe, I have a right to worry. You're my friend. The coolest friend I could ever have, actually. So I have a right to be concerned about you. Alright?" she said. I felt a smile being placed on my lips. "Alright, Foster. Alright."

I cleared my throat. "Man, you seem to know more than an Empath, Foster!" I said jokingly. She looked at her hands, which were gloved. "Um, please tell me I haven't manifested. Please, please, please." she said. I laughed. "It was a joke, Foster. Chill." I said. She sighed in relief. "Good. Good." Waves of relief attacked me. Literally. I fanned the air. "Whoa. You have some serious relief, girl." I said. She blushed. "Well, you can't blame me!" she retorted. I put a hand on my chest. "My little snarky girl is growing up..." I said dramatically. She slapped my shoulder.

I laughed and put on a true smirk.

I glanced at Linh's direction. I felt my smirk disappear slightly and I sighed, worry lines creasing my face visibly. True, it was hard to see me worried, even stressed, but this was too much. We couldn't have this. I wouldn't have this. I would watch out for her. I would brush by her, check how she was feeling, and hopefully be a hero. Hopefully.

Sophie grabbed my hand, and her emotions shot into me.

Happiness, stress, sadness, grief, concern, and nervousness.

I sighed.

She had enough to worry about. I would just be adding on to her list of things to worry about.

"I'm just really worried about her, Foster. I know we're all worried, but she better heal soon. Heck, I might even help her. This went too far, and we all know that. Which is why we should pay more attention to everyone else." I said. Sophie's grip tightened.

"Yeah. Trust me, I know, Keefe."

I turned towards her. Her emotions were rising up higher. She turned to her left and her emotions SKYROCKETED. I turned to where she was looking at. Oh. Tam.

She looked so happy, and Tam's eyes brightened. Sophie let go of my hand and walked to him. I shot Tam a look and he rolled his eyes. I smirked, but it seemed forced.

I was happy for them, really. Really, I was. I was just all single and stuff. It was fine. So i'm basically a bachelor. Except that i'm not old enough to be. But i'm still considering myself to be one. I'm walking the long road. Watching the sky fall. Great. I'm getting influenced by my dad's stupid books. Ugh.

How could I ask for more?

A lifetime of laughter?

Ha. Not anytime soon. For me, anyways. Everyone else is truly happy, and i'm just here with a fake smile and a fake happily ever after.

I rubbed my face and tousled my hair. I saw Biana coming towards me with a nervous expression on her face. I sighed slowly.

"Yes?"

"Uh... I honestly have no idea why I came here."

"That's what I think everyday."

Biana laughed and I felt a smile creep onto my face. I turned it into a smirk. "So, B, how have you been?"

She shrugged. "Okay, I guess. Not so bad. Not amazing, either."

"Yeah. That's basically every day of our lives." I retorted. Biana shrugged. "At least I know i'm normal."

Something caught her eye and she began walking towards it. Interest sparked inside her, so strong I could feel it. "See ya, B!" I called. She smiled. "You too, Keefe!"

I sighed in relief. Less awkward than I expected it to be. Great. I looked at everyone.

Fitz was conversing deeply with Linh, Dex was building... something, Biana was checking out something, and Sophie and Tam were talking. Sophie. That was all that was pounding inside of my mind.

Intoxicating. Pretty. Funny. Sarcastic. Beyond all, understanding. Brave. Everything you could ask for. I smiled slightly. I knew that I could never have it. But still...

It didn't stop me from caring for her. I knew I wouldn't stop falling for her. But maybe I could minimize it? Maybe? It would be hard, but I knew I could try. I could wait. I could wait my whole life. I could wait my whole life just to see her truly happy. Why? Why would I do such a thing to someone who was happy? Because I could feel their emotions. I could feel if someone was faking. Right now, everyone was faking. Even Linh. She was still struggling with her emotions. But there was determination inside of her. And she was certain. So we trusted her.

But I would wait for her. I would wait for Sophie Foster to be truly happy.

Because, really, that was all that mattered.

keefe appreciation 🙂