I Didn't Mean It - Dex's POV

I swear I didn't mean it.

It was an accident, I swear! I had nothing intentional to happen circulating my mind, okay?! You'd never understand. Because you're not Technopaths.

Yeah. I'm talking to you, you people- er, humans, to be exact, that are... reading this. How do I know you're reading? Well, before, when I traveled to the Forbidden Cities in... Italy, was it? I might've snuck a... phone, was it, with me in curiosity. Pure curiosity. I hadn't told Sophie, and it was a wonder I hadn't been caught. I'd never touched it since. But now I had. And it resulted in me finding this one website. Er, a reading one, to be exact.

I read everything in this one story. Yeah, this one story about Sophie and Tam all mushy together. But I never expected finding everything that happened here, much less find a story about elves! I was sort of confused at first, but I sorta just... grew to it? I don't know. You humans would never understand. I have to admit, though, this is pretty cool. Er- favor? Don't tell anyone I said that. Please.

You could even just read the summary of this story right now. You'll find some stuff. So what happened? This is my side of the story.

~flashback~

"Hey, pick up, Sophie!" I said, mashing my Imparter's buttons. Nothing flashed on the screen. I sighed in defeat. Oh well. She was probably busy with Tam again. Again meaning for the 18th time.

I sighed and picked up my gadget. I was proud of it, and hoped Sophie would be the first to see it. Maybe not this time, though.

It was a mood switcher. I had never ever tried it on someone, because the risks, but... nevermind. The Councillors didn't know either. That was really a risk for me, but I was willing to take it. Why? I didn't know. But oh, what I didn't know.

I hadn't figured out a name for it yet, but I had some ideas in mind. Like, the Empathy Reader, things like that. Scratch that, that's dumb. I thought, shooing the thought away. I sat down on the ground and sighed. It's so boring now. Nobody really knows me. Nobody really pays attention to me. I covered my face with my hands. "Oh well. At least the Neverseen has stopped bothering us for some time."

I perked up. "Unless..."

I set the gadget to 'Happy and Forgiving'. Then I rose my black crystal, which I had gotten from Sophie some time earlier for our past missions together, and I whispered, "Neverseen."

I arrived in a dark, dimly lit room. I heard yells, orders, commands, even, and I started to run. Then I remembered the gadget. I closed my eyes, hoped it would work, but little did I know that I had accidentally brushed the mood panel without knowing. I knew now, since I checked it. But then I didn't know. I rose it up and blasted it. It was supposed to go in a line, not around in a ring, touching everything!

It worked, though. But the mile rundown was set to "FAR. VERY VERY FAR." so I had no idea who else it had hit. I felt my eyes stinging. I had most likely affected one of my friends, most likely. I wiped my eyes and noticed the slowing down of the members. I heard sniffling, then obnoxious crying. ...Well, at least it worked like it was supposed to.

I rose up the crystal and yelled for home.

I sat down on my bed, trying to muffle sobs and then thinking of what would happen. It was a wonder it didn't affect the user. ...That was okay, right?

No. No, it wasn't. I would rather have it affect me then one of...

"...One of my friends!" I yelled, standing up. I threw the gadget on the ground and it shattered. I didn't care if there were any side effects. My friends could be affected. I just didn't know who.

~end of flashback~

...

Yeah.

That's all that happened. And now I know who was affected. And I hate it. Linh. She was affected by MY creation. And I blame myself for it. But guilt isn't good for elves. Which is why I'm trying to get over it.

But can I?

Can I really?

dex chapter with mixed emotions and a lot of confusion from all you readers 😕