Target 19 - What Happened?

Drip

Drip

Drop

Pause

Silence...

...

Drip

Drip

Drop

He didn't know how he got there, nor did he know where he was. His surroundings were incredibly dampened with moisture from the water vapor which had been sealed inside by the amazing brickwork.

The bricks, from what the figure could tell, were a hue of gray which leaned in favour towards the cooler colour scheme. Though, they were not all the same tone- some were lighter in colour, while others were dark and dingy.

Others were the balance between the two spectrums, allowing for an easier sight which would have been unpleasant if the shades were drastically different.

It seemed as though he was standing inside a corridor, however, when he took another squinted look at the architecture, it was clear to him that he was in some sort of sewage or underground passage system.

He soon took the sewage option as being unlikely; between the dirty river in what appeared to be the centre, and the path he was standing on (as well as the one he could vaguely make out on the other side of the river) were arches.

They were placed with an impressive consistence, each pillar being connected to two seperate arches which connected to another pillar, and so on as far as he could see.

Which was not far. The moisture in the air had caused a type of fog to form in the area, and the amount of moisture currently in the air was obviously quite large as the figure could not see further than five feet in front of him.

Not the worst predicament, but it is certainly not the best for his currently confused state either. These archways were also used as doorways- he saw as he walked down the "corridor" cautiously -judging purely on the fact that he had seen a couple of them on the wall to the right side of him, opposite of the river.

They appeared to lead to other sections and rooms within the underground chambers. Usually, when you would think of catacombs, you would think of the catacombs under the French capital, Paris.

Catacombs were, by definition, an underground cemetery with clusters of tunnels, and recesses in the walls- and sometimes floors -which were dug out for coffins and tombs.

However, the simplest definition of the word itself is just simply an underground passageway, very much like a labyrinth or maze in nature; full of twists, turns, dead ends and random tunnels.

So far, the figure could put that definition of "catacombs" to describe the environment he was in. He took a deep breath through his mouth, soon scowling in disgust afterward at the dampness and taste of the air, before he began to move.

Some of the bricks, particularly on the ceiling, had built up enough precipitation to form droplets of clear liquid, which fell from them and onto the bricks below.

Many of them fell onto the surface of the river, which was still stationary with no movement other than the soft ripples created by the drops of water falling into it.

The figure's face had suddenly began to lessen in colour, turning paler. If this truly was a catacomb like he predicted, there was no doubt going to be a couple of road blocks in his way, and perhaps he would find something he wished he hadn't in the mean time.

Filled with determination to find out exactly where and how he had gotten there, he continued to move forward. He subconsciously began to sync his footsteps with the drips of water, as the sound was quite prominent throughout the "corridor".