Chapter LIII

Listen to Stay with me by JJ Heller for this chapter.

It stopped raining and all the droplets of rain were dried off by the Californian Sun. Summer has already arrived and there are only a few weeks left before my mom gets married to Cayden's dad and also, 2 more days before Prom.

I'm still debating whether I should do what I want for myself or just forget about it. Cayden is right, I should start acting selfishly towards my happiness.

But I just need a little more motivation to do what I have to do.

"Hailey, I'm going out to taste some wedding cake, you want to come?" She asked and I sprinted towards the kitchen, finding her drink her usual coffee.

"We need to talk," I said. I think its time to tell her that Trevor is here in Town. "But, I'll tell you when we're in the car—"

My sentence was cut off by a ringing house phone, my heart is beating rapidly fast, hoping it's not Trevor. "I'll get it—"

"No, I'll get it!" The tonality of my voice is loud and clear. I ran towards the living room and grabbed the wireless telephone.

"I see you," Someone said in a rough voice. I look out our living room window and saw no one. "Nice outfit."

The voice is rough and scary, "What do you want?" I said as I try not to say it out loud for my mom to hear.

"Oh my god, are you crying? I'm sorry if I scared you. It's Amelia," Amelia said as my heart starts to cool. Taking a deep breath.

"I'm sorry if I did that. I just called and wanted to say I'm sorry because I lead a total stranger to your house," she said.

"It's fine. There's no need for an apology. And why are you calling on our house phone?" I asked and she starts snorting.

"I'm sorry. I just did it to scare you and it worked, but worse. So yeah, I'll see you later?" she asks.

"I'm not going to school today. Got to do something really important," I said and I hear her say 'u-huh.'

"Well, I hope you get it all done. Anyway, I've got to leave now. I'll see you tomorrow," She said as I hung up the phone.

I walked towards the kitchen and saw my mom placing her mug on the kitchen sink, "How was it?" She asked as she grabs a glass of water.

"My friend, Amelia. Let's go!" I said as I try not to show her that I'm panicking and we need to leave the house as soon as possible before Trevor decides to pay a visit. "The sooner we get there, the better, right?"

My mom hops in the car and I did too. I put on the seatbelt and looked out at the window of the car, checking all sides are clear, "Honey," Mom catches my attention. I stopped turning my head in different directions and looked at her.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Are you okay?" She asked and I nodded my head, "Because you seem a little bit paranoid about our surroundings and I've noticed you're so eager to get out of the house, even though I know that you don't even want to get out," She added.

I took a deep sigh before letting out the truth slip out of my mouth, "Trevor is here," I announced. She looks at me with the same expression glued to her face, the expressionless face. "And I guess you don't give a damn about it, huh?"

She looks at me, quirking her eyebrow this time, "Let's not start with the scary stuff now. It's not yet even Halloween," Mom says as I can't help but roll my eyes at her response. She puts the keys in the ignition and the engines roar to life.