eleven

Lots and lots of Camren this chapter to make up for no Lauren in the last one.

-

October 28th 2016

"I did it."

Camila closes her locker and turns around in surprise, not expecting anyone to talk to her, especially Lucy. After their talk, Camila had expected an immediate breakup with Lauren, but Lucy had just gone back into hiding, and left Camila to deal with a mopey Lauren, ranting at her and asking her what Lucy's silence could mean. And Camila, unable to tell her the truth, had felt guiltier by the minute.

"I broke up with Lauren," Lucy elaborates when Camila doesn't reply. "I know I should've done it sooner and I feel so bad about it but-"

"But you couldn't stay with her." Camila finishes for her. "Because of what Fifth Harmony Lauren did. I know."

"In a way I guess I'm glad I did it." Lucy shrugs, but Camila can see the guilt in her eyes. "I know she technically didn't do it, but you were right. It wasn't fair of me to be so cold with her."

"Breaking Camila's heart now, too?"

Camila turns on her heel and spots an angry Normani walking towards them. Well, more like stomping very angrily. "Mani- what-"

"Someone just dumped Lauren for no valid reason." Normani glares at Lucy. "She's fucking heartbroken. Not three weeks ago you were telling her you loved her and you were going to marry her, and now this? You don't just suddenly fall out of love with someone who didn't do anything wrong."

Lucy shakes her head. "It's not like that-"

"No, you're going to fucking apologise to her," Normani snaps, "she's completely heartbroken because you took her friendship with Camila the wrong way, and now she won't leave her house because she's so broken."

Camila feels a lump in her throat, not wanting to be dragged into this. "Listen- um, Lucy was telling me it wasn't that, and-"

"Mila, you can't really be that naïve, can you?" Normani shoots her an accusatory look. "I saw the way Lucy was watching you the past few weeks, and I know it's not your fault that she's a total bitch who wouldn't communicate-"

"You know what, Normani?" Lucy cuts in, rescuing Camila from Normani's rant. "If I don't want to date her, I don't have to. I know she's heartbroken, but it's like you think I don't feel guilty for that. It hurt me to hurt her, okay? But the longer it went on, the more it would've hurt. She'll get over it-"

"She called you the love of her life," Normani folds her arms across her chest. "She risked everything to come out for you, and you just-"

"I'm sorry, okay?" Lucy interrupts again, "But I can't be with her and I don't owe anybody a reason except her, and I gave her one."

"Yeah, a bullshit one," Normani argues, "we're better as friends? Since fucking when?"

As Lucy retorts, Camila slips away quietly, not noticed in all the arguing. She makes her way to where she knows Dinah's locker is, because Dinah's car is the only car she could possibly get access to. Thankfully, her best friend is there, rooting through her textbooks.

"Hey, China," Camila gets out quickly, trying to convey a sense of urgency. "Can I borrow your car?"

Dinah tosses her the keys. "Don't crash it."

Camila grabs them, blinking in surprise. "Aren't you going to ask why-"

"I heard that Lucy broke up with Lauren," Dinah answers, sending her a knowing look. "Go and get your girl."