thirty five

May 8th, 2017

Camila scowls at her mom as she's dragged through the aisles of the grocery store. She's been avoiding Lauren for days, and naturally, her mother had decided to drag her out to help with the shopping before she drops her off at school, because she was sick of her moping around constantly.

And of course, Sinu would drag her right onto the aisle Lauren is working on, and because Camila had yet to tell her about a 'break-up' between her and Lauren, Sinu gets her attention.

(Granted, it's not really a break-up. As soon as Camila figures out how to make Lauren forget again, everything will be fine.)

"Oh, Lauren, I hadn't realised you worked here," Sinu announces, and Lauren turns around, a charming smile on her face, but it falters a little once she sees Camila. "You don't have any mangos in the back, do you? Sofia likes them for her packed lunch."

"I- um, I'm not supposed to do this, but I can go check," Lauren murmurs, not meeting Camila's gaze, "I'll be right back."

As Lauren heads towards the back of the store, into the employees only section, Camila lets out the breath she didn't know she was holding. Sinu doesn't pick up on it. "I like her, mija, she's always so polite."

"Yeah," Camila mumbles, "she is."

When Lauren comes back with a mango in hand, Sinu smiles, and puts it in their shopping cart. "Thank you, Lauren. You know, you still haven't come over for a proper dinner. Are you free next weekend?"

"I- um," with a timid look over at Camila, Lauren just shrugs. "I'm not sure yet."

"Oh, well, just let Karla know," Sinu smiles over at Camila, who awkwardly looks down at her feet. "We'd love to have you over and get to know you properly."

"Yeah, I'd like that," Lauren quietly responds, looking anywhere but at Camila, "I'll let Camila know."

Sinu smiles, and asks Lauren about the location of another item on her shopping list, and once the older girl replies, the tension in Camila's body floods away, because she won't have to endure this awkwardness for much longer. But of course, Lauren ruins that, too.

"Um, actually, Camila," Lauren bites down on her bottom lip, "can I talk to you?"

"Aren't you supposed to be working?" Camila shoots back bitterly. "It's nothing you can't text me about."

"Well, I would, but you won't respond," Lauren murmurs, quiet enough for it to go unnoticed by Sinu, who has already set off up the aisle to look for a specific brand of toothpaste. "Look- can we talk? Please? I miss you..."

"No," Camila glares at her, "you know, since talking to me has always been something you love avoiding. I'm just saving you the trouble."

"Camila," Lauren grabs her arm and pulls her back when she goes to walk away. "Please? It's important we talk before... before you forget."

"I'm not going to forget, I have Lucy and Dinah to help me." Camila argues, wrenching her arm out of Lauren's grip. "I don't need you."

"Come on, Camz," Lauren stops her again, and Camila scowls at the nickname she has no right to use. Even though she came up with it when they were... when... Camila can't quite remember, but the point is, she doesn't want Lauren to use that name. "Besides... are you really going to come here and not make fun of my uniform?"

Camila ignores the small smile on Lauren's face, and ignores the way Fifth Harmony Lauren shouldn't know anything about that, and just shakes her head, turning away. "It's not your uniform."