seventeen

December 18th, 2016

When Camila wakes up, she looks at the date on her phone, and feels anxiety building up in her chest. She doesn't know why, because this isn't her world. She should be happy and excited, because if Lucy is right, she'll be going to sleep tonight and waking up where she's supposed to be.

So why does she feel so empty inside?

When a text from Lauren comes through, Camila smiles to herself. Maybe that's why you feel weird, Camila. When you wake up, you won't get random texts from Lauren.

Laur (12:34PM): Hopefully you're awake by now, because I'm coming to your house. I need to drop your Christmas present off. And NO OPENING IT BEFORE THE 25TH OR I'LL FIGHT YOU.

Camz (12:34PM): yes i'm awake and i'll open my presents when i want thanks

Camz (12:34PM): what are you the christmas police

Laur (12:35PM): Yeah, I am. And I'll arrest you for being a Grinch if you open your present before the 25th.

Laur (12:35PM): Anyway, put on your best Christmas sweater and get those chestnuts roasting on an open fire or whatever. We're having a Christmas movie day.

Camila smiles down at the message, because if this is her last day here, there would be nothing better than spending it with Lauren. Especially if a movie day is involved, because Lauren is a very cuddly person when she's watching movies. But she totally doesn't have ulterior cuddle motives.

Camila gets out of bed and brushes her teeth, before jumping in the shower so she's presentable for Lauren. She gets dressed, pulling on some skinny jeans and a Christmas sweater, before heading downstairs to get something to eat.

When the kitchen and the lounge are deserted, she figures her parents took Sofi out for last minute shopping, and left her to sleep. She appreciates that, because Camila hates the mall around Christmas time. It's way too busy.

She makes herself some toast, and is in the middle of making hot chocolate for the both of them when there's a knock on her door, and she smiles. She opens it up and pulls Lauren in for a tight hug, her heart hurting at the possibility that this will never happen again, that she'll never open her door to Lauren stood there.

"Hey, Camz," Lauren grins, stepping inside and looking over her sweater. "I'm glad you listened to my instructions and put a festive jumper on."

"I was making us some hot chocolate," Camila explains, "so go get comfy on the couch and I'll bring it through."

Lauren beams. "That's why I like coming over here. I get waited on like the queen I am."

Camila snorts. "Someone thinks a lot of herself."

"Nothing wrong with loving yourself," Lauren shrugs, digging into the backpack on her back and holding out a gift. "If you open this before the 25th, I'll know. I'll make Sofi be my informant and come over every day for updates."

"Thanks, Laur," Camila smiles and pulls her in for a hug. "I guess I'll respect your wishes and keep it wrapped. Once I've made the hot chocolate I'll run upstairs and get your present."

"You have my word that it won't be opened before Christmas." Lauren promises, nodding towards the stairs. "Can I put my backpack up in your room?"

Camila frowns. "Just leave it by the door. Isn't it empty after my present, anyway?"

"Oh, I didn't tell you?" I'm sleeping over," Lauren announces, and Camila laughs a little. She misses the days she and Lauren were so comfortable around one another that they could show up for impromptu sleepovers. "So I'll go and put this upstairs while you finish making hot chocolate."