Chapter 40 Coffee or Champagne?

After a weekend in wizarding Monaco, which I first didn't know existed and second didn't want to leave after I found out it existed, I returned to face the court as my marriage dissolves and Ronald prepares to be a father again with his new soon-to-be fiance' Chastity Ivy Rose Witsbert. I should have known with that name... Every time I hear it I can only shake my head and feel sorry for her child.

I should have taken Ginny's advice. But I didn't. Heck we were more than a little preoccupied to think of something in the way of contraceptives. Just the walk around the marina overlooking the French Riviera at sunset was amazing. When he stopped us and got down on one knee...

We haven't told Molly yet, but it looks like she'll soon be planning another wedding.

Monday morning found me taking the lift to the courts, which for once I won't be presiding over. Neither will Kingsley, since he is presenting on my behalf. It created quite a conundrum. Not my problem though. I have adapted a new attitude, one that if I can't change it, forget it. Draco suggested it for my own sanity and he was right. Today is the first real trial of this and so far so good.

Draco did everything possible to keep this out of the press. And when you have Ginny Weasley-Potter as your co-conspirator, you are destined for success. He promised at least one major announcement that will be their exclusive if they kept their cumulative mouths shut. Ginny fed them the not-so-rumor of Ronald's immediate wedding, but even she caught Draco's look that said 'that wasn't the tidbit I was going to feed them'.

When the proceedings were completed, and Ronald and I walked out of the court as two single people Draco couldn't be smiling brighter.

"Now?" he asked looking like a child in a candy factory. I nodded.

He got down on his knee again and slid on the ring he presented to me in Monaco, but we both had agreed to wait and accept it after the dissolution was finalized. It was a stunning dark teal colored oval sapphire that was about 6 carats in weight surrounded by diamonds. It was part of his family's collection and he had always admired it for the beauty and story behind it. It was one of the last love stories in the Malfoy line and he hoped that one day he would have a love like the one the ring saw. He expected to give it to Scorpius to present to Rose, since he knew their love story would be fitting the ring. He never expected to be able to present it himself.

But the moment he went down on his knee, the cameras were flashing from every angle and we could mentally read the headlines in tomorrow's paper.

When Ronald slid the engagement ring on Chastity's finger, no one took much notice. Not one camera was pointed in his direction, which further dug him into his opinion of being the worthless one of the former Golden Trio.

Ginny came running to me screeching at the top of her lungs, "How could you keep this from ME Hermione Jean Granger? ME? Your best girlfriend!" She may have sound irritated, but she was bouncing up and down - Draco told me later it reminded him of when he was a ferret - excitedly. "We have another wedding to plan!"

Did no one tell her that her voice echoes in those chambers? I look at Draco knowing he understands, as he takes my hand and leads me through the maze of paparazzi and reporters. "Coffee or champagne?"

"Start with coffee. Champagne tonight?" He nods pulling me tight against him as he smiles down at me.

The celebration went from Angela's cafe, who squealed when she saw the ring and then demanded that she bake our wedding cake, where we enjoyed our coffees in somewhat anonymity. When Rose and Scorp came in for their date, they noticed their parents in the back booth whispering to each other.

"Mum, is it..." she stuttered, which is unlike her, "Is it over? You and dad I mean."

Draco and I look at each other as his hand finds my leg and his other arm is draped over my shoulder. "Get your drinks and pastries dear," I say, "then you and Scorp join us for a talk."