Ch. 15

*Lily's POV*

I couldn't really remember all that much about growing up. In fact, now that I think about it, I spent a good chunk of my life down there...but we don't talk about that...

But ever since I had left that place, I've always been observing, watching, learning about humans and their functions. From day-to-day events to even a change in their tempo I have been able to study them. I even stalked this one guy for 8 weeks before giving up on his boring little life. He just went through the same routine everyday. Woke up at 6 A.M. Showered, ate breakfast, reviewed over his emails. Worked from 8 A.M. to 5 P.M. After work, he'd go home and sit in front of the TV till 10 P.M. Then, he went to bed. He didn't really try to stray from that. No family meetings, going out with friends, just...sticking to the routine.

I guess that was one way people didn't go insane...but I think I heard that he ended up becoming a terrorist and had put up a bomb threat at work. It didn't ever blow up though. It made me wish I had stayed a little longer but, oh well.

But as far as arguments go...I haven't ever seen one play out so easily. Or, at least, with a happy end. Most arguments ended up with someone throwing up their hands in the air in anger or storming out of the place where it took place. There was nothing ever good about having arguments...even my own parents had their own from time to time...but that's for another day.

Seeing Mark and Wilford interacting as they are now after that little burst...seemed unreal. That maybe something was wrong with them and that they were just putting on an act. But through my observations that had to be wrong because Wilford often wore his emotions on his sleeve.

I got up and headed to the backyard as Dark and Google were listening to Mark and Wilford.

There wasn't too much back there. A couple of trees, a few chairs here and there...

I sat down on the porch's steps and just stared at the fence. Most would look up at the sky, at the ground, at anything that could help them escape their space...but I watched the fence. Out of any of those things, the fence was stable. The fence never moved, the fence never yelled, the fence never did anything to anyone. The fence was simply a fence. A fence whose sole job was just to keep out trespassers.

I remember the first time I jumped over a fence. It had been an odd day at school and these kids were walking behind me after school. I didn't know why but I had a strong inclination that these kids weren't trying to find a new route home being 2 months into the school year.

I dismissed the thought originally as being paranoid till I began to test out a few things. I turned corners, crossed streets, and did anything to try and get them off my tail but to no avail. Eventually I began running and they followed me in hot pursuit, realizing I had finally caught on. I wasn't going to let them have their way though.

I observed my area quickly and found that there was a relatively medium sized fence next to me. I decided to sprint forward some before attempting to scale it, which was pretty damn difficult. Especially with a pair of slightly bigger high top sneakers gained from that year's shoe run.

I was just at the top when I felt my shoe being tugged on. "Come on down girly!" one yelled.

But I refused and just kicked downward, hard. I heard the guy yelp and I propelled myself over the fence, earning a nice long scrape across my right leg from the fence.

I was able to get back to the orphanage just fine but from that point on I was to have a guide to help me get back. They were very surprised about how quickly I reacted. They kept commenting about how I was 'something special' and all these other things. It's not my fault that I was taught to act rather than to-