Chapter 57

"I'm being over-coddled. I feel completely fine!" Elena shrugs.

Matt and Stefan are both cleaning the kitchen. I'm still sitting on the couch. I'm still thinking about what Matt told me and the fact that my family is close to breaking apart again. This time it won't be me walking away first.

"You're on house arrest. You're supposed to be coddled." Stefan cuts up some... vegetables?

He was always the best cook. Mother showed him all the good recipes. I was always getting beaten for little things. She never had the time to actually teach me anything besides music. Once she died I kind of learned the rest on my own.

"Wouldn't it be smarter if we just got you the hell out of town?" Matt asks.

He's the only normal one here. It's sad. He should have a girlfriend, enjoy life. Sucks he has to sit and watch his friends suffer. Jeremy is fine because he's sister is just tied up into this. He has a reason to stay. I guess Matt has a reason too but shouldn't he just leave? He won't be hated.

"And do what? Go on the run for the rest of my life? No thank you." Elena starts to roll up her blanket. "And I'm not an invalid. I'm done with the couch."

She gets up and walks off. I don't bother to put my two cents in. Matt ruined the day for me. I know I asked for it but he could've at least sugar coated.

"So you're just gunna let her call the shots?" Matt turns to Stefan.

"I'm letting her make her own decisions." Stefan says.

"Even if they're wrong?" Matt says.

I mean, she's being a strong woman. At least she didn't chose to run like Katherine. She's choosing to face her problems. That's good. Where is Katherine anyway?

"There's nothing wrong with freedom, Matt. Trust me. You don't realize that till you lose it." Stefan gets all sentimental.

I roll my eyes and sit back.

"Stefan..." Elena trails off.

He looks to the left and his face drops. So does Matt. Who's at the door? Is it Klaus? How would he have come back?

"Why are you guys so—— oh my god..." my heart begins to race.

That's not... after all this time...

"Elijah." Stefan says, surprised.

"Hello again." Elijah smirks.

I quickly look away. What is he doing here? Why is he here? I run my fingers through my hair. What do I say? I'm totally freaking out. This is what I didn't want to happen. My feelings are going to get confused again. This is like the summer but I'm spending it with Elijah now and Klaus is away.

Okay, calm down. It's nothing. I'm sure he's here for his brother Klaus. If he's here that means the rest is here too. There is no need to worry. We won't be alone anyway. He's a busy man.
~~~~~~
"All we need is to take that stake away from him." Elijah explains. "Once he's been disarmed, the weapon's in my possession, my family will scatter to the ends of the earth. And Alaric will follow us."

God, I almost forgot what his voice sounded like. I can't help but stare at him. He's so... beautiful. Okay, weirdo. It's true though. If we're being honest, he's the good choice. Awh great! My feelings! Mia push them down.

"And you'll just... run." Stefan pulls out a chair.

I'm sitting across from Elijah. He hasn't said a word to me yet. He hasn't even made eye contact. I really need to set things right with him...