Chapter 63

We all went home. Stefan ended up being my ride. Bonnie offered but I couldn't be in the same car as her after what I just confessed. I think it was good timing. Elena was dropped off. She kept telling me how everything was going to be okay and how we will get through this. I didn't really pay attention. All I could think about was me seeing Celeste. She's everywhere. I don't understand. Each time they feel more real. I don't know what it is.

Right now, I'm sitting on the couch. I can't sleep in my room. I can't even go in to get my pajamas. The mess in there... the blood... I can't just waltz in there and pretend nothing happened.

"Mia, at some point, you have to go in there." Stefan breaks the silence.

"I can't. If only you saw what happened. The fear in her eyes. She couldn't even fight because he had someone ready to kill Bonnie if something were to happen to him. God, I can't even say his name anymore!" I stand up, frustrated.

"I'll go in there with you. You need to face the fact that it happened. Shes dead and you need to move on. I know it's a lot to ask but right now, we need to let go." Stefan says.

I look at him in disbelief. How could he just ask me to forget about her? Yes, I know she's dead. Yes, I know she's not coming back. I'm aware. He doesn't have to remind me of it!

"If it were your room, and Elena died in there. Would you go in there? Sleep in there?" I ask.

He doesn't answer. "Exactly. So you can't possibly tell me to forget her. You can't tell me to walk in a room where I watched her die."

"I'm sorry. You're right——"

"You'll never forget me. What happened to me is your fault." A voice begins.

Now she's in my head? What else can she do? I know this is not her. She wouldn't make me feel like it was my fault. It wasn't.

"—— everything that happened, I wasn't there to see. I couldn't even begin to imagine what you're going through." Stefan soothes.

"He doesn't. Why? Because he's good. You? You're the one who killed her own best friend." Celeste suddenly appears next to Stefan.

I quickly back away. Stefan looks confused but then his face softens. He probably thinks I'm just sinking this in. I'm not. This experience is feeling weird. Now it feels like she's really here. I can feel her anger.

My eyes start to dart from Stefan back to her. He looks behind him, alarmed.

"Mia, are you okay?"

"Go ahead, tell him. Tell him that you're going crazy. Tell him that all you see is me because you feel guilty. You killed me! You did——"

"Shut up! Leave me alone!" I yell.

Silence. Not another word is said. I cover my face with my hands. I can't live like this. I thought that doing that whole lantern thing and confessing to everyone about what I said would be enough to have her gone but it wasn't. She's coming back stronger. Why am I going through this?

"I'll bring some pillows and blankets. You can either sleep here or in a guest room." Stefan offers.

I look up slowly, with tears in my eyes. He looks hurt. I wasn't yelling at him. He can't see her. What if I am going crazy? What if I do feel guilty? Maybe I did kill her. Maybe it is my fault.
~~~~~~
"So What is all this?" Stefan asks.

"Some personal items that I snaked from the vampire hunter's RV." Damon brings in a box.

It's the next day. Damon let me use his shower. He was pissed at me when I told him that I confessed but then he understood later on. I still haven't told them about what happened last night. I'll figure out what to do on my own. In the mean time, Damon brought back some cool stuff. I'm digging around some boxes.