Chapter 9: Sophie's arrival

Kai's P.O.V.

I didn't know what came to me, which made me to stay here at the back of the school. Since I want to be alone and I hate crowded place, I went here. And staying here alone, made me think about some things.

Especially about Jaerim yesterday... I never thought I would have fun spending a little time with her yesterday in the mansion.. I had fun teasing her. She's something! I never thought of thinking her as a friend... until now. Why do I feel this way? Like somehow, I want to know more of her.. I want to be her friend.. I never thought I would ever think of being her friend, but here I am.. thinking of it.. What's going with me? Being alone is enough for me but when I get to hang out with Jaerim.. it all change! I can't even understand myself..

Snapping out of my thoughts, I heard a girl shouted, cracking her voice in sadness.

“What did I do to deserve this?”

Approaching the girl with an ice cream poured on her head slowly, I notice that it was the girl I'm thinking of— Jaerim. Geez, I already knew who did this to her.. O f course, it's no other than Min-ah. I placed my warm hand on the back of her torso and sat next to her, saying the words: “There's tons of insecure people like her in this earth so don't wonder or ask yourself anymore.. ‘why people do this to you?’ or ‘what did you do to deserve this?’... The answer is simple because they're insecure.” I said, in calm tone.

She lifted up her head and saw me beside her. “Kai?” She said, looking at me with her red, swollen eyes.

I smiled at her as I pulled her up, holding her wrist. “Yup, it's me. I didn't know you were this miserable after each day of bullying you in middle school. I apologize.” I bowed then looked at her.

I just wanted a friend. That's all I need. She didn't respond to me and just looked at me, so I decides to speak.

“Geez, look at you. You look like a total mess. I guess you really made Min-ah angry that's why she did it to you, huh?” I asked. “Come on, I'll clean you up.” I continued, dragging her toward the faucet and the sink near us.

As we're walking, She pulled her hand back which made me turn to face her. “Why are acting this way? Why are so suddenly so nice? Do you pity me, huh?” She asked, looking frightened.

“No.” I said, slowly extending my hand then held her wrist again. “Because I'm your friend.”

“What? Friends? You're not my friend and I'm not your friend, either. We're not friends at all.. We seem like friends because of the deal—“

“Then I'm canceling the deal since we can't help each other. You already made a first impression to Lay hyung and that's cool. All you need to do is just keep it up. While I take care of mine.” I said calmly, trying to understand her how I truly felt for her as a friend.

“Yeah. The deal seems to be pretty useless.” She whispered.

“I know. Sorry for the trouble.”

“It's okay.” She smiled a little.

“So, we're friends now? Real-life friends?” I asked, smiling at her then extended my hand in front of her.

“Friends. Real-life friends.” She responded, shaking my hand then smiled at me brightly.

“Now, let's go! Let's clean you up!” I yelled playfully, pulling her hand toward the sink and helped her clean up her messy and sticky hair, full of ice cream.

Geez! This is gonna be hard. I never wash a girl's hair before.. Aigoo. I don't know what's up with me as well, to suddenly thought all of these stuffs.. *sigh* I am one crazy guy..