Chapter 22: Guilt

Jaerim’s P.O.V.

After that dramatic scene from Kai’s condo unit, my boyfriend dragged me and Kyungsoo to his car.

As Kai started his car’s engine, I stared at him. He really looks pissed off because of what happened between him and his father a while ago.

I don’t know how should I talk to him to give him comfort, so Kyungsoo and I just stay quiet until the rest of the ride.

*11 minutes later*

We all arrived infront of the apartment but none of us decided to get out of the car. Seconds passed, and Kyungsoo broke the ice.

“Ah, guys. I’ll go home. I think you two need to talk privately.” Kyungsoo said plainly. Neither Kai and I respond, and just stay still inside the car. Kyungsoo get out of the car, after hearing no response at all from the both of us.

As soon as Kyungsoo got out, there was still silence that filled the air.

I don’t know how will I start a conversation, knowing that he’s not in a good mood at all.

As minutes passed with complete silence, I can’t help but to think. Think about our relationship.

Our relationship is forbidden.

It feels like everybody’s against our relationship.

Am I not good enough for Kai? Am I that worthless in his life? Am I only a trash in his father’s eyes?

I facepalmed myself as I thought of that. This situation is driving me insane. How will I continue such happy relationship with Kai, knowing that his father is against to it? What will I do now?

I glanced at Kai and saw him looking through the car window.

“Kai..” I called his name as I placed my hand on his broad shoulder.

He turned to face me and I saw that unreadable facial expression on his face. He gently cupped my face with his soft hands. “Everything will be alright. We don’t need Dad in our relationship. He can say whatever he wants... because for us, we both know—“

I held his hands on my cheeks and squeezed it as I cutted him off. “Kai.. I don’t want to continue this relationship to be filled with guilt. ” I said as I closed my eyes.

I felt him, pulling his hands away from my cheeks. “So... What are you trying to say?..”

I opened my eyes as I heard him speak. I saw his eyebrows twitching and sort of gritting his pearly white teeth. “What I’m trying to say is—“

“What you’re trying to say is your giving up quickly just like that, Jaerim!” Kai cutted me off, yelling at me.

“Kai, it’s not that I’m giving up on us. This current situation where in, is just.. complicated. I don’t want you and your Dad to have a conflict just because of me. Kai.. we need to settle this problem first before we can be happy again. I can’t have a happy relationship with you, knowing there is guilt. There’s this one person against us, Kai. Please.. Just listen to me.” I said calmly as I catch my breath due to continous words I spoke.

“No, Jaerim. You don’t have to come up with such excuses. You have given up already.” Kai said, as he massaged his temples.

“Kai, no. Please..”

“Jaerim. Just get out of my car. I beg of you.” He said, in a nonchalant voice as he continue to massaged his temples and looked away.

“Kai.. ” I held his shoulder but he shrugged it off and turned to face me.