Chapter 4: The God Behind the Illusion

Thor landed in the streets of Asgard and could not believe what he saw.

"What the hell is that?" he questioned.

He saw a huge statue of Loki in front of a theater. Thor went in to see Odin, with women feeding him grapes, and other Asgardians watching a play based on how Loki "died."

"Oh, brother. This is it. I take my leave," Actor Loki said.

"You fool, you didn't listen!" Actor Thor lightly scolded.

"I'm sorry," Actor Loki apologized.

"Lady Sif, get help!" Actor Thor commanded.

"Somebody, help!" Actor Sif yelled, running offstage.

"Sorry for all I've done," Actor Loki apologized.

"It's all right. Hold on," Actor Thor pleaded.

"I'm sorry I tried to rule Earth. They'd be lucky to have you. I'm sorry about that thing with the Tesseract. I just couldn't help myself," Actor Loki explained.

"I know," Actor Thor responded.

"I'm a trickster," Actor Loki said.

"So mischievous," Actor Thor agreed.

"Sorry about that time I turned you into a frog. It was a wonderful joke," Actor Loki continued.

"'Twas indeed hilarious," Odin chuckled to himself.

"You are the savior of Asgard," Actor Thor remarked.

"Tell my story," Actor Loki requested.

"I will," Actor Thor stated.

"Build a statue for me," Actor Loki added.

"We will build a big statue for you," Actor Thor promised.

"With my helmet on, with the big bendy horns," Actor Loki continued.

"I will tell Father what you did here today," Actor Thor replied.

"I didn't do it for him," Odin whispered.

"I didn't do it for him," Actor Loki said.

They turned to see the actress who played Jamie running onstage as tears came down her face. Actor Thor stood up for a minute to let them talk. Actor Jamie collapsed at Actor Loki's form and held him close.

"Loki, please don't leave me," she sobbed.

"I'm sorry I can't keep my promise," he said as he caressed her cheek and dried some of her tears.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. I can't lose you," Actor Jamie cried.

"I'll always be with you," Actor Loki told her then requested, "Could you sing the chorus of that song we danced to?"

Actor Jamie exhaled a shaky breath then nodded. As she sang, a single tear went down Odin's cheek as he smiled.

"You're gonna make it
You're gonna make it
The night can only last for so long

Whatever you're facing
If your heart is breaking
There's a promise for the ones who just hold on
Lift up your eyes and see
The sun is rising"

When she finished, Actor Loki "died" in her arms.

"No!" both actors, playing Thor and Jamie, screamed.

Actor Jamie kissed Actor Loki's lips.

"And so, Loki died of his wounds, giving his life for ours. He fought back those disgusting elves, he brought peace to the realm. And he even found love with a Midgardian. Loki, my boy," Actor Odin explained, a young blue boy came onstage, and Actor Odin concluded, "'Twas many moons ago I found you on that frostbitten battlefield. On that day, I did not yet see in you Asgard's savior. No. You were merely a little blue baby icicle that melted this old fool's heart."

Everyone applauded at that.

"Bravo! Bravo! Well done. Bravo," Odin cheered as he stood up.

"Father," Thor called.

"Oh shit," Odin mumbled when he saw him then announced, "My son, Thor, has returned! Greetings, my boy!"

Everyone clapped when they heard of Thor's presence.

"It's an interesting play. What's it called?" Thor wondered.

"The Tragedy of Loki of Asgard. The people wanted to commemorate him," Odin answered.

"Indeed they should," Thor agreed then commented, "I like the statue. A lot better looking than he was when he was alive, though. A little less weaselly, less greasy, maybe. But Jamie would probably disagree with me."

Odin soured at that until he heard Jamie's name, making him chuckle a little.

"Do you know what this is?" Thor asked, holding the skull.

"The skull of Surtur. That's a formidable weapon!" Odin answered.

"Do me a favor. Lock this away in a vault so it doesn't turn into a giant monster and destroy the whole planet," Thor requested to a guard and he obeyed.

"Thank you, dear," Odin told a woman, who took his drink, then asked Thor, "So it's back to Midgard for you, is it?"

"Nope. I've been having this reoccurring dream lately. Every night, I see Asgard fall into ruins," Thor answered, tossing Mjölnir.

"That's just a silly dream, signs of an overactive imagination," Odin insisted.

"Possibly. But then I decided to go out there and investigate. And what do I find, but the Nine Realms completely in chaos. Enemies of Asgard assembling, plotting our demise, all while you, Odin, the protector of those Nine Realms, are sitting here in your bathrobe, eating grapes," Thor remarked, a little harsh and still tossing Mjölnir.

"Yes, it is best to respect our neighbors' freedom," Odin pointed out.

"Yes, of course, the freedom to be massacred," Thor stated, throwing then summoning Mjölnir near Odin.

"Yes, besides I've been rather busy myself," Odin responded.

"Watching theater," Thor pointed out.

"Board meetings, and security council meetings--"Odin started.

"You're really gonna make me do it?" Thor asked.

"Do what?" Odin questioned.

Thor threw Mjölnir then placed his hands on Odin's shoulders as they faced where Mjölnir was thrown.

"You know that nothing will stop Mjölnir as it returns to my hand. Not even your face," Thor smirked, summoning Mjölnir back as he held the back of Odin's neck and the guards readied themselves to attack Thor.

"You've gone quite mad. You'll be executed for this," Odin pointed out, a little fear in his voice.

"Then I'll see you on the other side, brother. Not to mention Jamie's heart will be broken a second time," Thor remarked, the smirk not leaving his face.

"All right, I yield!" Odin in Loki's voice said.

Odin shape-shifted into Loki, Thor threw him to the side, and caught his hammer. Everyone gasped as Loki looked at everyone's shocked faces and faced Thor with his hands up defensively with a smile.

"Behold!" Skurge announced, out of breath as he just arrived, and continued, "Thor...Odinson."

Loki snapped his fingers and faced Skurge.

"You had one job. Just the one," Loki scolded him then turned back to Thor.

"Where's Odin?" Thor demanded.

"You just couldn't stay away, could you? Everything was fine without you. Asgard was prospering. You've ruined everything. Ask them," Loki remarked, acknowledging the crowd at the end.

"Where's Father? Did you kill him?" Thor questioned as he walked up to Loki dangerously and Loki walked backward to get away.

"You had what you wanted. You had the independence you asked for," Loki pointed out.

Thor put Mjölnir to Loki's chest, pinning him to the couch.

"Ow ow ow! Okay. I know exactly where he is," Loki said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Thor finally finds out that Loki's alive. Damn.