The Golden Princess

A low hum of anxious excitement begin to build around me. People whispering and exchanging words about who they thought was going to be the princess and who they knew for a fact wasn't. Their analyzing eyes occasionally flickered to me and I couldn't help but feel my stomach tighten with hope and despair. The what 'ifs' scaring me to the point I could barely pay attention to what was going on or what I was suppose to do. The longer I stood in the same spot, because I  had been given no direction to what to do now, the more it felt like my throat was closing, slowly suffocating me.

Someone's soft hand wrapped around my wrist and gently tugged me, bringing my shaky attention to them. Mist frowned seeing the anxiety and panic written all over my face. For a few moments she just stared at me, wistful eyes staring at my face, until a sad smile broke out across her face, seeming to know something I didn't. Quietly, she gently asked me, "Do you love my brother Av?"

The bluntness of her words shocked me and nearly sent me stumbling backwards They had came right out of the blue and I had not been prepared for her words or the rush of emotions that bombarded into me. I begin to shake my head "no" but stopped, blood running cold.

There was no way Avril Bright could have fell for Ike Aldav. He was egotistical, hot headed, a know it all, but at his best he was actually charming and smart, he was protective and maybe a little misunderstood. And maybe his big ego was just mistaken for confidence. My shaky hands ran through my hair most likely messing up my braid even more, but I didn't care. Slowly, my hand found the star pendant necklace under the jewelry Mist had put over it and I squeezed it tightly, taking a deep trembling breath.

I looked up, my eyes immediately connected with Ike who had walked up the grand marble stairs and was now in front of one of the large windows situated on either side of the room. Two servants had quickly sat down his throne and he moodily sat down looking at the crowd in front of him passively. His eyes were still that breathtaking violet, his suit molding to his body perfectly. He looked between a mixture of coldness, indifference, and displeasure. Oddly, my heart gave a little leap.

Just looking at him, I knew my answer.

My heart dropped to my gut realizing that tonight would either break my heart that I just now realized he had in the palms of his hand or tonight would make me. Knowing this I started to freak out, I had never had feelings like this for anyone and the scariest part was realizing that your feelings had a fifty percent chance of being requited back. It felt like I was going to start hyperventilating, maybe I was overreacting, but I was beyond terrified. One reason that I had never tried to like someone, and I had never told anyone this, was because I was scared of getting hurt.

I've seen heartbreak many times in my life and I've seen what it does to you physically and mentally, hell I've felt it too. But I knew tonight would be ten times intenser.

My throat felt like someone had cut off my windpipe, air wasn't getting to me quick enough. Sensing my distraught, Mist grabbed my shoulders firmly and squeezed. I locked eyes with her. Only warmness and courage swirled in the brown depths.