The Hour After

Don't be a silent reader vote and tell me what you think!

I groaned lowly. My body felt heavy, and I had a pounding headache.

"Look she's waking up." Someone whispered. Slowly, one eye opened and then the other. Kaiya and Zeal's wary faces appeared in my vision. Their blurry doubles wavered in my vision until the doubles each collided into one person.

Voice groggy, I blinked a couple times trying to smother my fatigue. "Are we still on the ship?" I pushed myself up and peered around. Everyone was staring at me, and from the hot temperature and the crampness in the room I knew for a fact we were still on the ship.

"Girl, from how I'm sweating, of course we're on the ship. Thank the heavens and Selene that the ship is about to dock in a few minutes." Kaiya rolled her eyes, crossing her arms. She fanned her face dramatically but smiled at me. Even though she tried to act nonchalant, I could see the relief on her face as she looked me.

I returned the smile.

"And plus little Miss. Purple over there is annoying as fuck. All the bitch does is asks questions." She sighed hotly.

I peered around and noticed the purple hair girl staring out the screen window. She kind of irked me too, and I know this might sound mean but I actually wished we would've have left her back on the other planet.

My smile suddenly dropped as I remembered something. "Where's my dad!" I exclaimed pushing myself off the table and nearly tumbling to the floor. Luckily, Zeal and Kaiya grabbed my arms before I could fall off. "Cool down tiger, he's okay. He's on the couch." Kaiya reassured me.

Feeling my alarm drop, I nodded self-assured. "Can you believe it guys...we made it back in one piece. Our own four woman army." I rose an eyebrow as they chuckled seeming happy about that fact. Crinkling my nose, I pondered over the events that took place. "It was kinda too easy....."

After talking to them, struggling slightly I walked over to my dad. Nobellians made a path for me and with each person I passed, they thanked me whole-heartedly for rescuing them.

At first their eagerness to thank me flustered me, but I got over it. I reassured them that they didn't have to thank me. I had been wanting to do it every since I learned of the planet. One day, hopefully we would be able to save the rest of the Nobellians and all the other creatures too.

I stopped at where my dad was laying on a black couch. He looked so peaceful. His hands were propped on his stomach, fingers interlaced. His eyes were closed and his chest steadily rose with each haggard breath. Frowning, I felt like crying again. I didn't like the pose he was in, it reminded me of one that the deceased had at a funeral. Stooping to his level, I gently placed a kissed on his cheek as I felt one tear slide down my cheek.

I didn't care that people were seeing me cry, I really didn't. Normally, I would but this time I just didn't. I had just found him and it felt like I found something that was missing- that I longed for all these years. Even if I just met him, it  felt like I had known him for a long time. I was just glad that an empty spot in my heart was finally being filled. Tenderly, I rested my head by him, closing my eyes.

"They sucked out his life essence." Mist whispered.

My eyes sprung open at her words. "What?"

She looked down sadly. "They sucked out his life essence. Every living being in this universe has a life essence of some sort. Dynoats are one of the most frightening and feared creatures in the galaxy because with one touch they suck the life right out of you. It's like food for them. Your dad is obviously strong because he lasted this long. Years maybe, he was used to power them up. He was basically a life essence slave."

I closed my eyes again, letting that sink in again. The disgust was instant. I thought I hated the Dynoats but now I knew it was deeper. I absolutely loathed those monsters. My hands found his cold, clammy ones. A contrast between mine which were warm. They squeezed his hands as I felt another tear rush down my cheek. One more day later and he literally could have been dead. A few hours later and he could have been dead. I thanked the heavens above for letting me reach him in time.

"We're here!" Zeal yelled.

I quickly swiped my tears. It was time to see what waited for us. I was wary of being back on the planet because I didn't know rather Ike would be angry or welcome them back with open arms. I'm pretty sure it would be the latter.....after all we were all Nobellians.

VOTE.   COMMENT.   FEEDBACK.   FOLLOW.   ADD TO LIBRARY!!!